1. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 02:38
    Question #2:

Invalid FEN inserted - r1bqr1k1/pp1n1pbp/2pp1np1/8/2PNP3/2N3PP/PP3PB1/R1BQR1K1/

From Diagram (100), p. 261. Silman writes: "In diagram 100, Black should not even think of a kingside attack since there is too much play in the center, Instead, he should concentrate on strengthening his position in the middle by ...a5, ...Nc5, ...a4, and ...Qa5 with piece pressure on the White position."

My problem here is that it isn't clear to me what the Black Queen is doing on a5. I suppose there is some flexibility depending upon how White plays while Black is attempting this, but the author does say its purpose is strengthening Black's (central) position with piece play. Is the queen going to b4 to pressure c4 (and b2)? Note that the pawn on a4 might (depending on how White has developed) restrain b2-b3. How might White interfere with such plans? Assuming that Black gets everything into place as Silman suggests, if White then plays a3 to drive the queen away, does Black then play to open the b-file and put battery pressure on b2?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 03:013 edits
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Question #2:

[fen]r1bqr1k1/pp1n1pbp/2pp1np1/8/2PNP3/2N3PP/PP3PB1/R1BQR1K1/[/fen]

From Diagram (100), p. 261. Silman writes: "In diagram 100, Black should not even think of a kingside attack since there is too much play in the center, Instead, he should concentrate on strengthening his position in the middle by ...a5, ...Nc5, ...a4, and ...Qa5 rive the queen away, does Black then play to open the b-file and put battery pressure on b2?
    I think it is with the intention to have more options for example there is b4 like you said and e5 and other potential squares to rest on and a3 just creates a weak square on b3
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 09:13
    Benefits of Qa5 ? putting preassure on c3 knight(joined with the strong black dark squares B), releasing d8 square for a Rook and for some mobility on the 5th file in order to switch sides if needed...

Also it might help in some Q side pawns advance maybe later in the game

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree