Rating differences

Rating differences

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
22 Dec 11

I play on a couple of chess sites, with my rating on here being 1441 at present but 1548 at present on the other site.
I know there are bound to be many variables which would account for the difference but how accurate are these ratings, and how would they compare to OTB elo

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by rob39
I play on a couple of chess sites, with my rating on here being 1441 at present but 1548 at present on the other site.
I know there are bound to be many variables which would account for the difference but how accurate are these ratings, and how would they compare to OTB elo
they're as accurate as comparing them to a BCF/ECF grade.

that is, any similarity is purely coincidental.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 11

There is a proven formula to compare ELO and RHP rating. It has been shown to apply to 1000's of players at this site:

Subs: RHP rating + 500 = ELO rating

Non subs: RHP rating - 500 = ELO rating

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by MontyMoose
There is a proven formula to compare ELO and RHP rating. It has been shown to apply to 1000's of players at this site:

Subs: RHP rating + 500 = ELO rating

Non subs: RHP rating - 500 = ELO rating
LOL,

If this is a joke, it's funny. 🙂

Otherwise, I'm missing the point. 🙁

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by tvochess
LOL,

If this is a joke, it's funny. 🙂

Otherwise, I'm missing the point. 🙁
Monty is deadly serious. You've been here since 2009, so you should know what he meant?? 😲

Haven't you befriended the mods yet? 🙁

-m. 😉

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by mikelom
Monty is deadly serious. You've been here since 2009, so you should know what he meant?? 😲

Haven't you befriended the mods yet? 🙁

-m. 😉
I've got an idea what he meant. 🙂

I've considered several times to sign up, so that I could take part in tournaments and ladders. But I'm afraid to start too many games. It's already taking more than enough time right now. All respects for those that have signed up!

On topic: Comparing ratings from different sources is useless. One of many reasons: they are very fluctuating.

Houston, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by rob39
I have seen this subject discussed a lot. Indeed, last year I asked similar questions in the forum.

I think it depends at least in part on how religiously and extensively you use in RHP CC a games database for opening play, and to some extend the analysis board. Of course, there is the complicating issue of opponents also using those capablities in RHP (or CC).

Anyway, a super reliance on a games database (as I do) could prop your rating in RHP (or CC) play, and without such a security blanket in OTB could hurt your OTB rating in comparison, especially if you know little about openings.

With that said, these are just ramblings and I don't know.