1. Joined
    30 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 10:57
    It is well known how the ELO system works. Some aspect of it is, however, puzzling.

I don't see why would the statistics not take into account the color of the player (when ELO is used for chess not football 🙂) ). It is a well established stastical fact that white wins more.

It seems that the above has namy consequences in the local chess culture here. E.g, in the open-invites list you mainly see "white" (around 70 percents I guess). As a result, many players here don't experience the "black side" almost at all (not to damage the rating).

I think some slight asymmetry in the rating system is necessary for the benefit of the chess community.

Agreed ?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 11:05
    That wouldn't be the ELO system.
  3. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:32
    Originally posted by zkomargo
    ...It is a well established stastical fact that white wins more...
    not true ... i win more as black (approx 4% more of the time), as do many others here.
  4. London
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 13:00
    Originally posted by MCA
    not true ... i win more as black (approx 4% more of the time), as do many others here.
    I suspect he meant 'in general', rather just you MCA, or just players on this site . . .

http://db.chessmetrics.com/ is the site for alternatives to ELOs and a whole bunch of other statistical "fun".
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 13:12
    Originally posted by zkomargo
    It is well known how the ELO system works. Some aspect of it is, however, puzzling.

I don't see why would the statistics not take into account the color of the player (when ELO is used for chess not football 🙂) ). It is a well established stastical fact that white wins more.

It seems that the above has namy consequences in the local chess culture her ...[text shortened]... etry in the rating system is necessary for the benefit of the chess community.

Agreed ?
    show me 1 game where you lost because you were black....
  6. Joined
    30 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 14:16
    This is'nt sensical. One cannot trace the game as to prove that it was due to his color obviously.
    Bogolyubov once said that when he is white he wins because he is white and when he is black he wins because he is Bogolyubov.
  7. Joined
    30 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 14:18
    Originally posted by MCA
    Statistical, as I said. There are exceptions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree