Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 16 May '09 12:12
    Is the rating given by Redhotpawn accepted generally elsewhere ?
  2. 16 May '09 12:44
    It is accepted worldwide as your RHP rating

Hard to compare ratings from different sites or online with FIDE.
  3. 16 May '09 13:17
    tx, what does a rating of 1200 mean, is it a beginners rating ?
  4. 16 May '09 13:25
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    If you're an established 1200 that means you play at beginner level,yes.
    In your case it's a provisional rating.Check the FAQ about this.
  5. Standard member zozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    16 May '09 13:46 / 2 edits
    linky linky info about provisional rating:
    FAQ
  6. Standard member zozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    16 May '09 13:49
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    linky linky info about provisional rating:
    FAQ
    linky linky info about how ratings are calculated:
    FAQ

(i had to do it in two posts, somehow you dont seem to be able to post 2 FAQ links in the same post O_o
  7. 16 May '09 15:45
    RHP ratings are very similar to other online rating systems. I reckon from the real life players I know they equate to roughly the following:

-1000 = beginner
    1000-1200 = weak casual player
    1200-1400 = average casual player
    1400-1700 = intermediate (average club player)
    1700-1900 = higher intermediate (good club player)
    1900-2100 = strong club player
    2100-2200 = very strong club player
    2200+ = Fritz (probably 50% or more of the time)

Truth is, strong players in the real world wouldn't waste their time playing here. They know for a fact that they will play against cheats most of the time in banded tourneys & so would get more preparing for their next OTB tournament by studying Fritz-generated lines in isolation.
  8. 16 May '09 17:04
    As discussed in other posts, there are many reasons why the ratings here can't be accurately compared to those anywhere else.

However, once you get an established RHP rating you can at least see where you rank among the other players here by looking at the Player Tables (all 642 pages of them!) from the link at the top of the screen, or by going to:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playertable.php

The last time I looked through these tables, the median rating here was 1307, if that's of any help.
  9. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    16 May '09 17:09
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    2200+ = Fritz (probably 50% or more of the time)
    LOL, very funny ! Probably true too. I would rec that if I only had a star next to my name. Someone do it for me, please.
  10. 16 May '09 17:44
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Truth is, strong players in the real world wouldn't waste their time playing here. They know for a fact that they will play against cheats most of the time in banded tourneys & so would get more preparing for their next OTB tournament by studying Fritz-generated lines in isolation.
    So the,say,top 100 on here are not really strong (and thus cheats because their games here sure are of good quality,imo) or aliens?

Or is it your view only GM's,and maybe IM's,deserve the qualification of 'strong player'?
  11. 17 May '09 06:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    So the,say,top 100 on here are not really strong (and thus cheats because their games here sure are of good quality,imo) or aliens?

Or is it your view only GM's,and maybe IM's,deserve the qualification of 'strong player'?
    I'd say half of the first 2 pages of the player tables probably regularly use "help", yes.
    I'm in a better position than you to know this.

We have at least 1 FM playing on this site, plus some bogus GM's. The FIDE Master has a similar rating on RHP to that of his OTB FIDE rating.
    There are a distinct lack of truly strong players here for the reasons I gave above. This is why I reckon that the RHP rating of 2200+ = Fritz 50% of the time is about right.

Many GM's participate in non-playing chess related sites.
    For instance, go to wwwchesspub.com & ask GM Kosten why he doesn't want to play at RHP.
    I bet I know what his reply will be...
  12. 17 May '09 07:25
    sounds like theres more cheating than there is in online poker
  13. 17 May '09 07:29
    ive bought a couple of books and im enjoying it , if i dont know wether or not im playing a computer it doesnt matter, thanks for the info though.
  14. 17 May '09 07:54
    how good are these chess programs, will they beat anyone
  15. 17 May '09 08:56 / 1 edit
    how good are these chess programs, will they beat anyone
    Yes Fritz, Rybka, CM & so on will virtually always beat human opposition if the engine is left for any reasonable amount of time to analyse each move.
    Of course sometimes a genuinely strong player can outplay a strong engine, typically in quiet positions where tactics & brute force calculations are less important than strategic planning & small incremental positional advantages. Occaisionally engines miss sacrificial attacks & things like sacing the exchange for a strategic advantage.

Fritz + patzer vs Fritz + strong CC player will mostly mean that the strong player who also uses an engine will win.
    There is a 'famous' case of this happening on this very site. A player here often beats players later banned for engine use & is yet to lose a single game against them.
    That type of player is called a Centaur.