1. Bucharest
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 18:19
    I am curios if there is any correlation between RHP rating and the real ELO rating of club players. I never played at a club and I am curios where I stand compared with them. Based on RHP rating my guess now is 1400 (the level of an average 10 year old kid? πŸ˜€), but I can beat Chessmaster GM at 1600.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 00:261 edit
    Originally posted by Mihai
    I am curios if there is any correlation between RHP rating and the real ELO rating of club players. I never played at a club and I am curios where I stand compared with them. Based on RHP rating my guess now is 1400 (the level of an average 10 year old kid? πŸ˜€), but I can beat Chessmaster GM at 1600.
    That is the old apples V oranges deal, RHP is long time games, 3 days per move and such. ELO is for over the board play, regular tournaments where you show up chessboard and clock in hand, you get two hours or whatever for the whole game. That is a different style of chess and you can't really match ELO with RHP. That said, my USCF rating is about the same as my RHP rating for some stupid reason or otherπŸ™‚
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 02:50
    If you haven't played OTB yet, you should. It takes a couple games to get your nerves straight and just feel relaxed at the board.

Never a better time to start playing OTB than the present.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 11:56
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    If you haven't played OTB yet, you should. It takes a couple games to get your nerves straight and just feel relaxed at the board.

Never a better time to start playing OTB than the present.
    Rec'd. Playing on a computer is fun, but like Golf on a Wii, it is a very nice placebo but not a true substitute for a real course with the Sun and grass and a breeze etc.

I think it is a subconscious part of why Greenpawn34 often talks about setting up an actual board to look at positions. There's a bit of "chess as it was originally conceived, in its purest state and natural beauty laid out before you" kind of feeling that computers can't yet truly reproduce.

And there's something personal about the other guy sitting right across from you, that removes the abstraction and makes it feel truly competitive.
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 13:55
    Originally posted by Mihai
    Take away200- 250 points from your RHP rating and you'll have a pretty good idea of your OTB ELO. Just a rough guide but it's there or there abouts. I know the ELO of a number of players on here and the 250 rule is pretty accurate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree