Reti

Standard memberwolfgang59
Only Chess 25 Sep '10 21:51
  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 21:51
    I have twice been accused of cheating on blitz sites.
    Both times when I played Ra2 in Reti.
    Is the move so ridiculous that opponents think its the work of an engine?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 21:55
    Did you mention a blitz game? Shame on you. You should only talk about OTB games at a CC site.

I love the irony.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 05:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I have twice been accused of cheating on blitz sites.
    Both times when I played Ra2 in Reti.
    Is the move so ridiculous that opponents think its the work of an engine?
    Not at all- it's a thematic move in the Reti, often seen with a bishop on b2, and followed by Qa1 with a queen and rook battery on the a-file and a queen a bishop battery on the long diagonal.I've played this myself

Far better- here's a GM Colin McNab game with the theme in question:

4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 07:52
    Thanks Paul
    What I like about those first 12 moves is that I can play them against any defence (within reason!). (With the addition that sometimes I capture on d5)
    Saves me loads of time in blitz games!

My opening post should really have said is Ra2, Qa1 so apparently ridiculous but actually good that my opponents reason that to think of it in real time must be the work of an engine.

The other oddity I like in the Reti is the "gambit" version when the Queens knight goes to a3 then takes the pawn on c4. Violating 2 guidelines: dont put knights on the edge and dont move a piece twice in the opening!
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 01:381 edit
    In the 20th century, no one ever lost because their opponent was good- they always lost because they were ill- which led to some wit saying that no healthy chess player ever lost a chess game.

In the 21st century, the excuse is "Oh well, if I lost, my opponent MUST be using an engine".

In a faceless internet environment where people remain anonymous hiding behind pseudonyms, baseless cheating accusations have as much value as Marks from the Weimar Republic.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 01:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thanks Paul
    What I like about those first 12 moves is that I can play them against any defence (within reason!). (With the addition that sometimes I capture on d5)
    Saves me loads of time in blitz games!

My opening post should really have said is Ra2, Qa1 so [b]apparently ridiculous
    but actually good that my opponents reason that to think o ...[text shortened]... olating 2 guidelines: dont put knights on the edge and dont move a piece twice in the opening![/b]
    The main line of the Sicilian has white moving a piece twice in the first four moves, so the the old rule is inscribed more in sand than in stone, apparently!
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 02:19
    Consider that in various QGD Slav/Semi Slav variations the move Ra7 is played, seems pretty similar to your Ra2.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree