1. under your bed
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 13:091 edit
    After 1.Ng3, b3, Bg2, 0-0, then d4! (instead of d3 aiming for a KIA) is this a reveresed grunfeld? Does anyone play this? .. seems quite solid for white.

Thanks.
  2. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 20:25
    An opening set up with a king's side fianchetto and d2-d4 is a very mainstream and solid way to play. How you class it depends on black's response, I suppose it only counts as a reversed Grunfeld if Black is bold enough to play d7-d5 and c7-c5 very early on. If black is content with just d7-d5, leaving white to play d2-d4 and c2-c4, then we have the Catalan, of course.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Sep '11 16:28
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    After 1.Ng3, b3, Bg2, 0-0, then d4! (instead of d3 aiming for a KIA) is this a reveresed grunfeld? Does anyone play this? .. seems quite solid for white.

Thanks.
    Sorry about the delay in this- Keene had this game as being played in 1958, but it is listed as a 1957 game in my database, so it was harder to find.

Keene considers this to be an excellent example of the reversed Gruenfeld in its purest form.

The Catalan is essentially a reversed Gruenfeld where the extra tempo allows white to get in the thematic c4 (...c5 reversed), but it can be a useful arrow in the quiver of a Reti/KIA player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree