Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    10 Sep '10 15:14
    A legend died today.

He will be missed!
  2. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    10 Sep '10 15:25
    The last acolyte of Nimzowitsch.

He also gave Robert Fischer the fastest loss he'd ever had in the Ruy Lopez.

3. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    10 Sep '10 15:47
    old bent giving the bird to spassky:

bent beating fisher in the face with the blunt end of fisher-sozin:

4. 10 Sep '10 16:19
    The news wasn't on ChessBase but i have seen the news in a couple of other places. He passed away yesterday (the evening of the 9th).

RIP.
  5. Standard member Talisman
    Time traveller.
    10 Sep '10 16:30
    Originally posted by Lundos
    A legend died today.

He will be missed!
    That is indeed very sad news. He was the most original player i think there has ever been.
  6. 10 Sep '10 16:31
    He is with all the other Chess Gods at the Great Tournament. RIP Larsen.
  7. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    10 Sep '10 16:59
    RIP herr Larsen.
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    10 Sep '10 18:00
    Sad news, as he is one of my inspirations for the game. Here's a SWEET and creative game in the Accelerated Dragon against Karpov:

9. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    10 Sep '10 18:16
    Originally posted by enrico20
    The news wasn't on ChessBase but i have seen the news in a couple of other places. He passed away yesterday (the evening of the 9th).

RIP.
    Yes, it was actually yesterday. The Danish media is just slow as usual.

Still it's sad. My father played him in a 20 man simul in 1963 or '64, when he was in high school. He likes to tell that story. Of course he lost, but a friend of his drew his game. BL won the rest. Imaging drawing against BL in his prime while in high school. Must have been a fun experience. Anyway, after the matches BL stayed and talked chess with the lads for a long time. He was a good guy.

During the Copenhagen Chess Festival/Politiken Cup this year, BL was celebrated because of his 75 year anniversary by having the Danish GM Peter Heine Nielsen play the Russian GM Peter Shirov. Shirov won easily. At least that's how PHN tells it.
  10. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    10 Sep '10 19:47
    Very sad, and I love the Karpov game. I have looked at that game probably 20x over the years.
  11. 10 Sep '10 22:06
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Yes, it was actually yesterday. The Danish media is just slow as usual.

Still it's sad. My father played him in a 20 man simul in 1963 or '64, when he was in high school. He likes to tell that story. Of course he lost, but a friend of his drew his game. BL won the rest. Imaging drawing against BL in his prime while in high school. Must have been a fun exp ...[text shortened]... ielsen play the Russian GM Peter Shirov. Shirov won easily. At least that's how PHN tells it.
    Yes, very sad. He was one of my favorites from the 60's and 70's.
  12. 10 Sep '10 23:19 / 1 edit
    another legend crosses the rainbow bridge, to Valhalla,

RIP Bent Larsen,

although i never knew you, your art lives on
  13. 11 Sep '10 00:01
    RIP Bent Larsen

Great player of some exceptionally crazy games!

Inspiration for the GM Danielsens Polar Bear System in the Birds Opening (Henrik Danielsen vs Thomas Luther).

An innovative and fearless Chess Grand Master.
  14. Standard member sir
    11 Sep '10 21:30
    I loved watching and listning to him on the telivision program "Master Chess". His games will live on. He was an inspiring player.

RIP Bent Larson.
  15. 12 Sep '10 01:19
    Aw, man, sad news indeed. Rest in peace, Bent.