1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 19:091 edit
    Here's an entertaining online game I just won, playing black. After two nice sacrifices, I almost blew it.

The comments are entirely mine. The engine didn't agree with everything I said, but I'm not going to mention any of that because I want to give the readers a chance to question my conclusions.

2. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 19:342 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's an entertaining online game I just won, playing black. After two nice sacrifices, I almost blew it.

The comments are entirely mine. The engine didn't agree with everything I said, but I'm not going to mention any of that because I want to give the readers a chance to question my conclusions.

[pgn]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "SwissGambit"]
    1. e4 ...[text shortened]... Kc1 Re1+ 37. Qxe1 Qc2#} 31... Qf2+ 32. Kh1 Be4 33. Rg1 Bxg2+ 34. Rxg2 Qf1+ 35. Rg1 Qh3#
    [/pgn]
    I don't want an argument but what did you have planned against

26. gxh3 Qxh3 17. Nh4?

17...Qxg3+ 18.Ng2 and you have destroyed the white kings pawn protection but white seem like he can get enough counter chances on g7 to keep black from progressing.

Edit: I guess you would have three pawns for the piece as well but I'm not versed enough in endgames to know how much of a difference it makes that those extra pawns are broken up into three pawn Islands.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 04:27
    Nice fireworks SG 🙂
  4. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 08:09

[pgn]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "SwissGambit"]
    1. e4 ...[text shortened]... Kc1 Re1+ 37. Qxe1 Qc2#} 31... Qf2+ 32. Kh1 Be4 33. Rg1 Bxg2+ 34. Rxg2 Qf1+ 35. Rg1 Qh3#
    [/pgn]
    Just a note here: in the Open Sicilian I think after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 that d6 gives black more options. I feel like letting yourself fall prey to the Nimzovich-Rossolimo gets into somewhat bad positions for black if white plays carefully.
    d6 allows Nd7 after Bb5+, a common theme in the Najdorf and also the Dragondorf.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 17:43
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Just a note here: in the Open Sicilian I think after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 that d6 gives black more options. I feel like letting yourself fall prey to the Nimzovich-Rossolimo gets into somewhat bad positions for black if white plays carefully.
    d6 allows Nd7 after Bb5+, a common theme in the Najdorf and also the Dragondorf.
    I have a hard time seeing why I should fear the Rossolimo. If white wants to spend two moves to trade my N and get my b-pawn to c6, where it controls a center square, then I'm glad to let him.

I don't really care for any of the ...d6 systems. There's nothing wrong with them; they're just not my style. Really, I am aiming more for the ...e6 systems. I may consider playing 2...e6 right away, although there are some transposition issues. I'm going to have to re-read the chapter in Yermolinsky's book about that.
  6. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 17:541 edit
    I have a hard time seeing why I should fear the Rossolimo. If white wants to spend two moves to trade my N and get my b-pawn to c6, where it controls a center square, then I'm glad to let him.

I don't really care for any of the ...d6 systems. There's nothing wrong with them; they're just not my style. Really, I am aiming more for the ...e6 systems. I ...[text shortened]... transposition issues. I'm going to have to re-read the chapter in Yermolinsky's book about that.
    So you prefer the Kan variations? I personally dislike the double pawns because I have to waste multiple tempi releasing the light squared bishop. However, maybe the benefits about the central pawns cancel that out.
  7. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 18:04
    Originally posted by Tygert
    So you prefer the Kan variations? I personally dislike the double pawns because I have to waste multiple tempi releasing the light squared bishop.
    Thats a very weak reason to dislike an opening and probably means you put too much emphasis on your bishops.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 18:54
    Doubled pawns along with both bishops are tactical opportunities knocking at your door. CP
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 18:21
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Doubled pawns along with both bishops are tactical opportunities knocking at your door. CP

Not exactly a stellar performance by either player, but in this game I was handed the bishop pair and the doubled up pawns. I always look for little tricks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree