Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    27 Sep '13 19:09 / 1 edit
    Here's an entertaining online game I just won, playing black. After two nice sacrifices, I almost blew it.

    The comments are entirely mine. The engine didn't agree with everything I said, but I'm not going to mention any of that because I want to give the readers a chance to question my conclusions.

  2. 27 Sep '13 19:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's an entertaining online game I just won, playing black. After two nice sacrifices, I almost blew it.

    The comments are entirely mine. The engine didn't agree with everything I said, but I'm not going to mention any of that because I want to give the readers a chance to question my conclusions.

    [pgn]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "SwissGambit"]
    1. e4 ...[text shortened]... Kc1 Re1+ 37. Qxe1 Qc2#} 31... Qf2+ 32. Kh1 Be4 33. Rg1 Bxg2+ 34. Rxg2 Qf1+ 35. Rg1 Qh3#
    [/pgn]
    I don't want an argument but what did you have planned against

    26. gxh3 Qxh3 17. Nh4?

    17...Qxg3+ 18.Ng2 and you have destroyed the white kings pawn protection but white seem like he can get enough counter chances on g7 to keep black from progressing.

    Edit: I guess you would have three pawns for the piece as well but I'm not versed enough in endgames to know how much of a difference it makes that those extra pawns are broken up into three pawn Islands.
  3. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    28 Sep '13 04:27
    Nice fireworks SG 🙂
  4. 28 Sep '13 08:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's an entertaining online game I just won, playing black. After two nice sacrifices, I almost blew it.

    The comments are entirely mine. The engine didn't agree with everything I said, but I'm not going to mention any of that because I want to give the readers a chance to question my conclusions.

    [pgn]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "SwissGambit"]
    1. e4 ...[text shortened]... Kc1 Re1+ 37. Qxe1 Qc2#} 31... Qf2+ 32. Kh1 Be4 33. Rg1 Bxg2+ 34. Rxg2 Qf1+ 35. Rg1 Qh3#
    [/pgn]
    Just a note here: in the Open Sicilian I think after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 that d6 gives black more options. I feel like letting yourself fall prey to the Nimzovich-Rossolimo gets into somewhat bad positions for black if white plays carefully.
    d6 allows Nd7 after Bb5+, a common theme in the Najdorf and also the Dragondorf.
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    28 Sep '13 17:43
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Just a note here: in the Open Sicilian I think after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 that d6 gives black more options. I feel like letting yourself fall prey to the Nimzovich-Rossolimo gets into somewhat bad positions for black if white plays carefully.
    d6 allows Nd7 after Bb5+, a common theme in the Najdorf and also the Dragondorf.
    I have a hard time seeing why I should fear the Rossolimo. If white wants to spend two moves to trade my N and get my b-pawn to c6, where it controls a center square, then I'm glad to let him.

    I don't really care for any of the ...d6 systems. There's nothing wrong with them; they're just not my style. Really, I am aiming more for the ...e6 systems. I may consider playing 2...e6 right away, although there are some transposition issues. I'm going to have to re-read the chapter in Yermolinsky's book about that.
  6. 28 Sep '13 17:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I have a hard time seeing why I should fear the Rossolimo. If white wants to spend two moves to trade my N and get my b-pawn to c6, where it controls a center square, then I'm glad to let him.

    I don't really care for any of the ...d6 systems. There's nothing wrong with them; they're just not my style. Really, I am aiming more for the ...e6 systems. I ...[text shortened]... transposition issues. I'm going to have to re-read the chapter in Yermolinsky's book about that.
    So you prefer the Kan variations? I personally dislike the double pawns because I have to waste multiple tempi releasing the light squared bishop. However, maybe the benefits about the central pawns cancel that out.
  7. 28 Sep '13 18:04
    Originally posted by Tygert
    So you prefer the Kan variations? I personally dislike the double pawns because I have to waste multiple tempi releasing the light squared bishop.
    Thats a very weak reason to dislike an opening and probably means you put too much emphasis on your bishops.
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    28 Sep '13 18:54
    Doubled pawns along with both bishops are tactical opportunities knocking at your door. CP
  9. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    01 Oct '13 18:21
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Doubled pawns along with both bishops are tactical opportunities knocking at your door. CP


    Not exactly a stellar performance by either player, but in this game I was handed the bishop pair and the doubled up pawns. I always look for little tricks.