1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 10:042 edits
    Is it just me, or context has much to do with a level of play? I mean when I play serious OTB game with clock, longer then, say, minimal 30 minutes per move, I somehow concentrate and play really well, the best within my limits. However if I play on small cheap playstic chess board in distracting enviorement, without clock and stupid opponent, I tend to play very very bad even if I try hard to do my best, my concentration go everywhere only not on chess board.

So generally I play better and have better success against stronger opponents. How is that possible?

Is that too spoilled? I want nice board, clock and serious opponent, without noise otherwise something magically goes wrong and I perform at 1100 OTB level.

My opponents doesn't seem to have that problem, so often they beat me even if they are far worse players than me. They couldn't beat me ever when conditions were on my side (clock, nice wooden board, with heavy pieces that make nice sound when touching the board instead of plastic trash, envioremement without too distractions, in particular auditive.)

Why am I so retarded ??
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 12:17
    i know the problem...it will be automatically solved by time...as you will probably progress in time...and when you will be like 500-800 rating points like better than them it will be easier to win against them...
    just get stronger, and this will get fixed...as you will win against them even you will play weaker in those games...
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 12:252 edits
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Is it just me, or context has much to do with a level of play? I mean when I play serious OTB game with clock, longer then, say, minimal 30 minutes per move, I somehow concentrate and play really well, the best within my limits. However if I play on small cheap playstic chess board in distracting enviorement, without clock and stupid opponent, I tend to pla , envioremement without too distractions, in particular auditive.)

Why am I so retarded ??
    it's not about being retarded. I think it's just a pshycological problem in adapting yourself and being present.

I somewhat have the same problem, I just cannot force myself to take the game seriously if especially the opponent is not taking the game the way I want to do. if the opponent blitzes in a standard game, the game is more about mental strength (of not blitzing and spending your time patiently) than chess skills for me. but I'm improving on that area. For example, there's a Chessmaster personality rated 1588, and I know by now I should be winning almost all my games against him, but I have a losing record against him because I could not help myself blitz, he makes the moves instantly (not even in a second. he is the original CM engine limited to depth 3.)

it's probably mostly about the opponent, more than the environment. the trick is, trying to pretend the opponent is always stronger than you. if you (and I) can manage that, it will be a lot easier to play in real strength.
  4. Blighty
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 12:56
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    it's not about being retarded. I think it's just a pshycological problem in adapting yourself and being present.

I somewhat have the same problem, I just cannot force myself to take the game seriously if especially the opponent is not taking the game the way I want to do. if the opponent blitzes in a standard game, the game is more about mental strength ...[text shortened]... than you. if you (and I) can manage that, it will be a lot easier to play in real strength.
    The England football team have the same problem!
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 14:43
    Yeah.... nice game with Croatia recently... 🙂
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 15:08
    what ? they did not have clocks ? or the ball was not good? who said Croatia was weak? they were on clear first place in the group...
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 15:11
    Just have fun with the game regardless and you'll start winning.

A coach will tell you to get more competitive... you gotta have a stronger drive to win.

As for myself I have a similar problem.. i only really care about winning when there's a rating on the line or I'm playing against a friend.

so my suggestion: go play more blitz 😛.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree