1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 21:00
    This is my second public annotation on RHP. I did it all in F9 so you'll have to copy and paste it into there for now. I'll make it more RHP friendly later (so no C and P is necessary) but I'm in a bit of rush right now.

Game 2943487

[Event "Clan challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame"]
    [Date "2006.12.28"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "cmsMaster"]
    [Black "whirlpool"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [PlyCount "49"]
    [EventDate "2006.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 {This is my third game against Whirlpool. In our first game a KG
    arose, which he accepted and went into the mainline Kieseritzky. In the
    second game a Sicilian Dragon Yugoslav Attack was played. I won both of those
    games.} 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4 {In our first game with the KG in the Kieseritzky I
    didn't feel very comfortable out of the opening, and actually made a blunder
    that should have cost me the game. I decided to avoid those lines and instead
    opt for the King's Bishop Gambit.} Nf6 4. Nc3 c6 5. Bb3 d5 6. exd5 cxd5 7. d4 {
    This is the mainline variation of the KBG, it seems to offer both sides good
    chances, but I don't have too much experience in the line.} Bd6 8. Nge2 Be6 9.
    Bxf4 O-O $11 {I think this is a good position for both sides, white should
    probably castle here to diminish any pressure down the e file, and look to get
    the rather misplaced knight on e2 into the game.} 10. O-O Nc6 11. Qd2 {
    Connecting the rooks} Na5 12. Nb5 {I had no problem with accepting doubled b
    pawns here. Taking a look at the position I decided white should be able to
    find counterplay on the queenside with an open a file, the knight on b5, and
    potentially the queen.} Nxb3 13. axb3 Bxf4 14. Qxf4 {Both Nxf4 and Qxf4 seemed
    quite good to me. I do think I lost sight of my plan here though, and prefer
    Nxf4 in the position now. However, when I made this move I though black would
    face difficulties after say Ng3, Nf5. However after 14.Nxf4 with 15.Nc3 I
    think black will have a lot of trouble defending his isolate d pawn.} a6 15.
    Nbc3 Rc8 16. b4 $6 {Not really a good move here, the idea is simply to clear
    the a file for my rook, but I forgot to take account of black's queen.} Qb6 17.
    b5 $6 {This is another less than accurate move, I got far too focused on the a
    file here. Fritz suggests the move Qg5 with the idea that 17..Ne4 18.Nxe4
    dxe4 19.c3 leaves white with a pretty good position with plenty of chances.} (
    17. Qg5 Ne4 18. Nxe4 dxe4 19. c3) 17... axb5 $17 18. Qd2 Rfe8 19. Nf4 Ra8 20.
    Qd3 $6 {White can get a good position with 20.Rxa8 Rxa8 21.Nxe6} g5 $4 {
    This is a major blunder, simply weakening black's kingside - the natural 20...
    Rxa1 gives black a definite edge with great winning chances, it seems black
    was worried about a knight threat that didn't really exist.} 21. Nfe2 $6 {
    Again, 21.Rxa8 and white is winning.} Bd7 $4 {
    Black had one last chance for Rxa1 to gain a winning position.} 22. Rxa8 $18 {
    Finally, white finds the winning move - black has no chance for counterplay
    now and white has the game in his control.} Rxa8 23. Qf3 Bg4 24. Qxf6 Qc7 $4 {
    Well, it's a terrible blunder, but clearly I've got the game in hand.} 25.
    Qxg5+ 1-0

I apologize if it's not the best annotation - but it's what I can do in 20 minutes. 🙂
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 01:48
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    This is my second public annotation on RHP. I did it all in F9 so you'll have to copy and paste it into there for now. I'll make it more RHP friendly later (so no C and P is necessary) but I'm in a bit of rush right now.

Game 2943487

[Event "Clan challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame"]
    [Date "2006.12.28"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Whit ...[text shortened]... ot the best annotation - but it's what I can do in 20 minutes. 🙂
    Well, I figured there'd be at least SOME interest. Although it may be because of the format - so here's the more user friendly format...

[Event "Clan challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2006.12.28"]
    [EndDate "2007.02.03"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "cmsMaster"]
    [Black "whirlpool"]
    [WhiteRating "1673"]
    [BlackRating "1615"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "2943487"]

1. e4 e5

{This is my third game against Whirlpool. In our first game a KG arose, which he accepted and went into the mainline Kieseritzky. In the second game a Sicilian Dragon Yugoslav Attack was played. I won both of those games.}

2. f4 exf4 3. Bf1c4

{In our first game with the KG in the Kieseritzky I didn't feel very comfortable out of the opening, and actually made a blunder that should have cost me the game. I decided to avoid those lines and instead opt for the King's Bishop Gambit.}

Ng8f6 4. Nb1c3 c6 5. Bc4b3 d5 6. exd5 cxd5

7. d4

{This is the mainline variation of the KBG, it seems to offer both sides good chances, but I don't have too much experience in the line.}

Bf8d6 8. Ng1e2 Bc8e6 9. Bc1xf4 O-O=

{I think this is a good position for both sides, white should probably castle here to diminish any pressure down the e file, and look to get the rather misplaced knight on e2 into the game.}

10. O-O Nb8c6 11. Qd1d2 {Connecting the Rooks}

Nc6a5 12. Nc3b5

{I had no problem with accepting doubled b pawns here. Taking a look at the position I decided white should be able to find counterplay on the queenside with an open a file, the knight on b5, and potentially the queen.}

Na5xb3 13. axb3 Bd6xf4 14. Qd2xf4

{Both Nxf4 and Qxf4 seemed quite good to me. I do think I lost sight of my plan here though, and prefer Nxf4 in the position now. However, when I made this move I though black would face difficulties after say Ng3, Nf5. However after 14.Nxf4 with 15.Nc3 I think black will have a lot of trouble defending his isolate d pawn.}

a6 15. Nb5c3 Ra8c8 16. b4?!

{Not really a good move here, the idea is simply to clear the a file for my rook, but I forgot to take account of black's queen.}

Qd8b6
    17. b5?!

{This is another less than accurate move, I got far too focused on the a file here. Fritz suggests the move Qg5 with the idea that 17..Ne4 18.Nxe4 dxe4 19.c3 leaves white with a pretty good position with plenty of chances.}

axb5 18. Qf4d2 Rf8e8 19. Ne2f4 Rc8a8 20. Qd2d3?!

{White can get a good position with 20.Rxa8 Rxa8 21.Nxe6}

g5??

{This is a major blunder, simply weakening black's kingside - the natural 20...Rxa1 gives black a definite edge with great winning chances, it seems black was worried about a knight threat that didn't really exist.}

21. Nf4e2??

{Again, 21.Rxa8 and white is winning.}

Be6d7??

{Black had one last chance for Rxa1 to gain a winning position.}

22. Ra1xa8+-

{Finally, white finds the winning move - black has no chance for counterplay now and white has the game in his control.}

Re8xa8 23. Qd3f3 Bd7g4 24. Qf3xf6 Qb6c7??

{Well, it's a terrible blunder, but clearly I've got the game in hand.}

25. Qf6xg5 1-0

Ok, I may or may not work more on making these annatations a bit more complete, but in the meantime I hope SOMEBODY comments on them now that they're in an easy to read format.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 01:591 edit
    Well, I figured there'd be at least SOME interest. Although it may be because of the format - so here's the more user friendly format...

[Event "Clan challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com"]
    [Date "2006.12.28"]
    [EndDate "2007.02.03"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "cmsMaster"]
    [Black "whirlpool"]
    [WhiteRating "1673"]
    [BlackRating "1615"]
    DY comments on them now that they're in an easy to read format.
    There's not much else to say about the game other than pointing out the mistakes, which you already did (with some help from Fritz).

As an e4 player, I hate these lines that end up looking like a double QP opening (pawns on d4 and d5). If this is all White gets from the King's Gambit these days, I'm sticking to the Ruy.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 02:031 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    There's not much else to say about the game other than pointing out the mistakes, which you already did (with some help from Fritz).

As an e4 player, I hate these lines that end up looking like a double QP opening (pawns on d4 and d5). If this is all White gets from the King's Gambit these days, I'm sticking to the Ruy.
    Seems to be what white gets from 3.Bc4 - I feel like I see this a lot, I generally stick to 3.Nf3 for that reason.

I guess you're right, the game's a bit boring - I should have annotated the Yugoslav game instead, much more exciting.
  5. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:121 edit
    Nice game, seems like the game was won on tactics, you really didnt force his hand too much imho, I would have played Bxd6, to get rid of your bad bishop, but he did it for you anyway with gain of tempo, as nb5 does seem to lose a tempo, you put so much into gaining the a file and than you gave it up anyway, not sure what your intent was there. Pretty sloppy play on both sides, congrats on making less mistakes than your opponent. Not much to really analyze you pretty much got a gift there at the end.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:15
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Nice game, seems like the game was won on tactics, you really didnt force his hand too much imho, I would have played Bxd6, to get rid of your bad bishop, but he did it for you anyway with gain of tempo, as nb5 does seem to lose a tempo, you put so much into gaining the a file and than you gave it up anyway, not sure what your intent was there. Pretty ...[text shortened]... kes than your opponent. Not much to really analyze you pretty much got a gift there at the end.
    Yeah, not one of my best games it seems - then again, whenever I annotate any of my games I say..."man that was a messy game." 😛
  7. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:23
    Yeah, not one of my best games it seems - then again, whenever I annotate any of my games I say..."man that was a messy game." 😛
    yeah happens to everybody, Im actually losing a game to whirlpool right now
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 05:41
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    yeah happens to everybody, Im actually losing a game to whirlpool right now
    He never gave me an easy game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree