1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:302 edits
    (at the US Chess Championship)

Why was that not grounds for Sevian immediately forfeiting the game? He did that on Niemann's time, without even announcing "J'adoube" as far as I know. Plus the way he put the king back on the board (not on its original square) seemed rather huffy.

GMs behaving badly does not set a good example of self-control and sportsmanship for the kids.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '22
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:392 edits
    I saw it live and it was hilarious.
    I was like "wtf!?"

The big websites are trying to make it light and not a big deal but if Hans did that they would have written whole articles about it and demanding a forfeit.
    Sam definitely looks like an idiot right now. He lost too so it's water under a bridge I guess.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '22
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:43
    Here is the incident and it's funny.

YouTube
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:582 edits
    @mayor said
    Here is the incident and it's funny.

[youtube]/VW-zbgL_j2g[/youtube]
    Thank you. I had only seen a much briefer video from Chess24.

I hope it was just that the black king's cross was loose and needed some glue (as Hans said later). In that case, Sevian should have called the arbiter over on his time.

However, on a tangent, I wonder if USCF and FIDE might consider removing the crosses from all the kings used in their games.

What I would not like to see is keeping the crosses but adding alternative kings with Star-and-Crescent, Star-of-David, Om, or Dunjia Qimen crests (for example). I think that would be divisive and contrary to the beneficial convivial influence of international chess.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '22
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 19:03
    Those sets have loose crosses because the cross can break easily and they are expensive sets so they make the crosses replaceable.

So Sam has no excuse.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '22
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 19:04
    Apparently they glued all of them last night for the last round today.

I'm watching it live now.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 22:13
    @mayor said
    Those sets have loose crosses because the cross can break easily and they are expensive sets so they make the crosses replaceable.

So Sam has no excuse.
    Plus topologically it would be difficult or impossible to turn a king on a lathe and have a flat cross atop his crown.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Oct '22 12:06
    @kevin-eleven said
    Plus topologically it would be difficult or impossible to turn a king on a lathe and have a flat cross atop his crown.
    True; but what they often do is turn the king until it's the whole king up to his crown, and just a cylinder on top of that. Then they hand-carve the cross out of the cylinder.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '22
    Moves
    20 Oct '22 17:56
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1582510806721523717
    WOW!!
    https://twitter.com/SusanPolgar/status/1582710272917008389/photo/3
    and
    the comment of Daniel ... KING! :-) in
    YouTube
    At least the arbiter had to stop this nonsense immediately - Niemann would have been banned for the tournament!
  10. Joined
    19 Oct '22
    Moves
    24 Oct '22 02:07
    Wow,. You may have to start banning chess sets like the Zagreb set with spiked finials and Latvian set as well. They can be turned into weapons... 😱 🙄
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Oct '22 03:324 edits
    @kevin-eleven said
    (at the US Chess Championship)

Why was that not grounds for Sevian immediately forfeiting the game? He did that on Niemann's time, without even announcing "J'adoube" as far as I know. Plus the way he put the king back on the board (not on its original square) seemed rather huffy.

GMs behaving badly does not set a good example of self-control and sportsmanship for the kids.
    Normally, the tournament director(s) would have handled this affair equitably, with a minimum of commotion; sadly, the Carlsen - Niemann melodrama has put situations like this under a white-hot spotlight and created a new and nauseating subculture devoted to tabloid chess.

Let's bring back Rita Skeeter from the Harry Potter days to interview Sevian and get his account of this physical attack and ascertain for ourselves if it stems from his childhood obsession with eggplant. Inquiring minds want to know! 🤔
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 16:34
    @stephanie108 said
    Wow,. You may have to start banning chess sets like the Zagreb set with spiked finials and Latvian set as well. They can be turned into weapons...
    They do look impractical, yes. The Zagreb set is pretty, but rather too ornate for tournament use, and frankly the Latvian royalty look like they could fall over if you breathe on them too hard. Nah, I'll have either of those for display on my coffee table, and a normal, sturdy plain Lardy-Staunton or Dubrovnik set to actually play with.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree