1. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 06:213 edits
    Has anyone here played Shatranj?

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj or Chaturanga tournament as tribute to one of these predecessors of chess.

There are many different possibilities: Makruk, Sittuyin, Chaturaji etc.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 06:25
    Originally posted by nihilismor

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj tournament as tribute to this predecessor of chess.
    id be game to try.. but as it was 1000s of years ago- subs only! 😉
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 09:32

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj or Chaturanga tournament as tribute to one of these predecessors of chess.

There are many different possibilities: Makruk, Sittuyin, Chaturaji etc.
    Santranch is the Turkish name for 'Chess'.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 09:37
    shatrunj is also the urdu/hindi name for chess, which means that it could be arabic , persian or sanskrit, probably the former.
  5. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 16:54
    Each of the games named in the first post, including shatranj, are chess-like games with pieces which are similar to chess but do not necessarily move the same way.
  6. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 20:05
    Each of the games named in the first post, including shatranj, are chess-like games with pieces which are similar to chess but do not necessarily move the same way.
    the way the bishops move is kinda nuts...makes it very difficult...alot of strategy involved with two pieces that cannot capture one another, but can jump every piece on the board... looks fun.

also, no outrageous queens...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree