1. ...who does not know
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 00:30
    I was reviewing this game. I wondered if 4. ...Nxe4 should have been my move? Seems like I struggled from there on? I am black.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Game 6561413
  2. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 15:42
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    I was reviewing this game. I wondered if 4. ...Nxe4 should have been my move? Seems like I struggled from there on? I am black.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Game 6561413
    In Caro-Cann you play dxe4. I'm not an expert, so I wouldn't know for sure myself. However, on this issue I can refer to a lecture by Jesse Kraai on chesslecture.com
  3. Joined
    05 Jul '09
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 15:59
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    Thanks,
    Eric

Game 6561413
    Yes,you should've captured.Capturing with the pawn,4....,dxe4,kicks the knight so that may be best.

Probably you can't keep the pawn but White may have to allow a weakening somewhere in order to get it back.
  4. Earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 17:151 edit
    Originally posted by Winston Smith
    Yes,you should've captured.Capturing with the pawn,4....,dxe4,kicks the knight so that may be best.

Probably you can't keep the pawn but White may have to allow a weakening somewhere in order to get it back.
    Agreed. In the opening, blacks aim should be to equalise development.
    h3 is a poor and passive move for white on move 4. Don't move pawns unless you have to - they can't go back again, and in this case weaken the Kings future refuge. White shouldn't be worrying about black moves - he should be forcing the issue himself!
    With dxe4 you remove a key central pawn of whites (challenging this pawn is a key objective in blacks opening) and you force him to move a piece for a second time - away from its ideal square.
    You dont have to worry about holding onto your pawn - the point is to regain tempo to develop another of your pieces. Let him waste time recapturing it, while you get on with mobilisation.
    This way you also retain the very useful ..e5! at some point, grabbing a chunk of the centre and restricting his.
  5. Earth
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 17:242 edits
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Agreed. In the opening, blacks aim should be to equalise development.
    h3 is a poor and passive move for white on move 4. Don't move pawns unless you have to - they can't go back again, and in this case weaken the Kings future refuge. White shouldn't be worrying about black moves - he should be forcing the issue himself!
    With dxe4 you remove a key cent ...[text shortened]... tain the very useful ..e5! at some point, grabbing a chunk of the centre and restricting his.
    PS I prefer this to Nxe4 as the f6 knight is always a key defender of the black kingside. It is by no means clear it is wise to exchange it at this point, and white no doubt wouldn't want to ignore the knight if it did capture!
    That said, this may be a debatable point as every exchange tends to favour black in the opening, as it helps take the sting out of whites (usual) better development and frees up blacks (often) cramped position.
    As always, every guideline is there to be broken dependent on taste and the specifics of the position. I'd have gone for pawn takes...
  6. ...who does not know
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 17:55
    Thanks for all of the advice. It all helps and is why I ask the questions.
    Eric

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree