1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 May '06 09:33
    http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-news/shredder-news/shredder-10-uci-out.html

It sounds like a nice upgrade. But the real test is its performance against Rybka 1.2.
  2. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '06 21:19
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-news/shredder-news/shredder-10-uci-out.html

It sounds like a nice upgrade. But the real test is its performance against Rybka 1.2.
    I'm ready to upgrade from Fitz 8.0. Should I buy Fritz 9.0 or Shredder?
    Or even another chess program??? 😕
  3. London
    Moves
    15 May '06 22:52
    Originally posted by arrakis
    You're the "expert".
  4. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    15 May '06 22:59
    Originally posted by arrakis
    I say go for Shredder.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 May '06 23:15
    Hey All,
    Didn't Hydra win the contest between the Shredder 9 and Hydra #whatever?

KingOnPoint
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 May '06 01:41
    Shredder 10 has just been released and a Chessbase version will follow shortly. I would go for Shredder.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 May '06 06:03
    For the past two hours or so, I've been trying Shredder Classic 2. First, I set it at 1700 without limiting its book knowledge. After destroying it in one game, I upped it to 1800. The same thing happened, so I raised its level to 1900. Better, but still not enough. Now, it's at 2000 and I'm going to play it tomorrow.

Why? I'm rated ~1800 on FICS and ~1900 on Playchess.com. (probably overrated on both) From my experience, Shredder playing at 1700 feels like some mid 1500 player. First of all, even without limiting its book knowledge, it plays dumb openings. For example: 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. c3?! Bg7 Why not d4? Secondly, it plays quite badly in the positional game that arises from such an opening. For example, when rated at 1900, it allowed me to trade my bishop for his Knight on f3 when only the g pawn protected it. After I moved to Nf5, unchallenged, he had a bad game. I don't expect such blunders at this level. All in all, it seems that like Chessmaster, Shredder's ELO is at least 150 points optimistic.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 May '06 06:15
    For the past two hours or so, I've been trying Shredder Classic 2. First, I set it at 1700 without limiting its book knowledge. After destroying it in one game, I upped it to 1800. The same thing happened, so I raised its level to 1900. Better, but still not enough. Now, it's at 2000 and I'm going to play it tomorrow.

Why? I'm rated ~1800 on FICS and ...[text shortened]... in all, it seems that like Chessmaster, Shredder's ELO is at least 150 points optimistic.
    They probably do that on purpose to make the customer feel good.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 May '06 06:42
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Hey All,
    Didn't Hydra win the contest between the Shredder 9 and Hydra #whatever?

KingOnPoint
    Except that Hydra is a combination of software and hardware running on a large number of processors (I was corrected last time I attempted to say what number). You can't run Hydra on your home computer. Of course it will perform better on millions of dollars of dedicated hardware than Shredder (or Fritz) does on a commerically available PC.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 May '06 06:45

Why? I'm rated ~1800 on FICS and ...[text shortened]... in all, it seems that like Chessmaster, Shredder's ELO is at least 150 points optimistic.
    Don't waste your time playing against throttled engines. They do not in any way correspond to real ratings and even if they did they don't play like a human. Making an engine play like a flawed human is an extremely troublesome problem and I predict which ever product gets it right first will be in for a major boost.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree