1. Joined
    14 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 15:50
    How does one defend against the English Attack after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cd 4. Nf6 Nc3 5. a6 f3 6. e6 Be3 7. b5 g4

Is this a good system for Black? I heard that Kasparov has played 8. Nfd7 planning on rerouting the Knight to b6 in preparation for attacking on the Q-side. Other moves are 8. h6 or 8. Bb7. What is everyone's opinion on the right move?

I played this position recently and played h6 but lose horribly. Is h6 a good mvoe if played correctly or is there a better move I'm not aware of?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 May '07 03:543 edits
    Originally posted by stepnkev
    How does one defend against the English Attack after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cd 4. Nf6 Nc3 5. a6 f3 6. e6 Be3 7. b5 g4

Is this a good system for Black? I heard that Kasparov has played 8. Nfd7 planning on rerouting the Knight to b6 in preparation for attacking on the Q-side. Other moves are 8. h6 or 8. Bb7. What is everyone's opinion on the right move? ...[text shortened]... se horribly. Is h6 a good mvoe if played correctly or is there a better move I'm not aware of?
    The order you give is impossible. You seem to think White can play e6 and b5 while Black can play f3 and g4. It's the reverse. But I think I know what you're getting at. This is the standard way to meet the English attack with f3. Between h6 and Nfd7, I think Nfd7 is more difficult due to Nxb5 later on, but it's probably fine. h6 is more common and Black is doing OK.

However, the English attack with f3 is not so dangerous in the Scheveningen with a6, it's the immediate g4 (sometimes with f4 shortly after) that is the test.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree