Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 30 Mar '11 16:58
    I'm looking to expand my openings and had my first stab a sicilian (below). The game slightly petered out due to a mistake by my opponent. I'm finding it is difficult to build attacks with the Sicilian though, so some advice on which become the important squares would be appreciated.

    Game 8273476
  2. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    30 Mar '11 17:59
    Originally posted by morgski
    I'm looking to expand my openings and had my first stab a sicilian (below). The game slightly petered out due to a mistake by my opponent. I'm finding it is difficult to build attacks with the Sicilian though, so some advice on which become the important squares would be appreciated.

    Game 8273476
    Paul's quick and easy guide to the Sicilian.

    As white, sacrifice a bishop on f7, e6, or b5, sacrifice a knight on b5, d5, or f5, or e6 and sac a rook anywhere on the h-file.

    As black, sacrifice a rook for a knight on c3, sacrifice a pawn at d5, sacrifice a bishop on g4 or h3, sac a knight on g4 or f2, and sacrifice the queen anywhere to ensure your game makes it on the forum, win or lose!

    All kidding aside, if you learn where all the thematic sacrifices are in the Sicilian for both sides, you will learn the "pressure points" in the different variations, and understanding those pressure points, why they are important, and how to exploit them will make you a better attacker. And a defender, since you will know where the other guy is aiming.
  3. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    30 Mar '11 18:13
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Paul's quick and easy guide to the Sicilian.

    As white, sacrifice a bishop on f7, e6, or b5, sacrifice a knight on b5, d5, or f5, or e6 and sac a rook anywhere on the h-file.

    As black, sacrifice a rook for a knight on c3, sacrifice a pawn at d5, sacrifice a bishop on g4 or h3, sac a knight on g4 or f2, and sacrifice the queen anywhere to ensure you ...[text shortened]... ke you a better attacker. And a defender, since you will know where the other guy is aiming.
    hahah, that's a great way of looking at sicilians! and maybe even chess in general.

    "what you need to know is that dragon players like to sac more than anybody else." -I think that was ronen har-zvi in some icc video, and even though maybe not strictly true, it certainly describes the mind of a dragon player more than well.



    what's the deal with the b5 sacs though? I don't seem to remember ever getting such positions?
  4. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    30 Mar '11 18:20
    The only otb game I have ever played e4 I sac'd a Bishop on b5 in a Sicilian Kan for a quick win, it can happen.
  5. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    30 Mar '11 19:01
    Originally posted by wormwood
    hahah, that's a great way of looking at sicilians! and maybe even chess in general.

    "what you need to know is that dragon players like to sac more than anybody else." -I think that was ronen har-zvi in some icc video, and even though maybe not strictly true, it certainly describes the mind of a dragon player more than well.



    what's the deal with the b5 sacs though? I don't seem to remember ever getting such positions?
    Here's an example of a sacrifice on b5 from GM Joe Gallagher, one of my favorite players. It's thematic to the Sicilian with ...a6 and ...b5, especially with lines involving ...e5.

    I should add that after 13. Bxb5 he is technically offering a bishop on b5 and a knight on f5- I am feeling especially Greenpawn34-esque today!

  6. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    30 Mar '11 19:35
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Here's an example of a sacrifice on b5 from GM Joe Gallagher, one of my favorite players. It's thematic to the Sicilian with ...a6 and ...b5, especially with lines involving ...e5.

    I should add that after 13. Bxb5 he is technically offering a bishop on b5 and a knight on f5- I am feeling especially Greenpawn34-esque today!

    oh, nice. I play only dragon, so I practically never get those kind of positions. except rarely in random openings which partly resemble sicilians of course. but I'm probably always castled in those already so it doesn't come up...
  7. 30 Mar '11 21:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Paul's quick and easy guide to the Sicilian.

    As white, sacrifice a bishop on f7, e6, or b5, sacrifice a knight on b5, d5, or f5, or e6 and sac a rook anywhere on the h-file.

    As black, sacrifice a rook for a knight on c3, sacrifice a pawn at d5, sacrifice a bishop on g4 or h3, sac a knight on g4 or f2, and sacrifice the queen anywhere to ensure you ke you a better attacker. And a defender, since you will know where the other guy is aiming.
    is recommending forbidden for non-sub scum (cant find the rec button)?

    thanks for the summary
  8. 03 Apr '11 22:36
    2. d4
  9. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    03 Apr '11 23:05
    Originally posted by deeploser
    2. d4
    fresh out of the blitz oven: