1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 03:552 edits
    White to move.

this is an adapted position taken from Tal v Smyslov 1959, the only difference between the position in the game (after 21.Kg8) and this position is that I have moved the black Knight from f6 to b6.

[ http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1139475 ]

Crafty gives the line: Rxa1 Kxf7 Rhe1 c5 Re4...[41m nodes : scores 3.47]

However, I was wondering how many other "human" players would disagree. In my eyes there is a powerful imbetween move crafty missed.

Nh6+ gxh6 Rxa1 Bg4 ...

the idea being, to spend a tempo in order to damage blacks pawn structure. [doubled up h-pawns]

Crafty on the other hand, seems to think this variation is marginally weaker [60m nodes: scores 3.25]

This is only a small difference but it does mean that, had crafty beeing playing white in this game, Nh6+ would have been 2nd choice and therefore not played.

which begs the question: who thinks crafty is right? and also, who else would play Nh6+ in this position?
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:14
    I'd take the queen, no question. . .maybe that's why i'm rated so low, but every bone in my body says "take the big kickass piece of material".
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:22
    Rxa1 Kxf7 Ne5+ Kg8 Nxc6
  4. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:301 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I'd take the queen, no question. . .maybe that's why i'm rated so low, but every bone in my body says "take the big kickass piece of material".
    His question isn't a matter of whether to take the queen or not. His question is should he play Nh6+ 1st, ruining Black's pawn structure and then take the queen.

And I have an answer for him: In the game he quoted White must take the queen because after Nh6+ PxN, RxQ Black has Ne4+! ruining White's pawn structure and eliminating the black-squared bishop.

However, by changing the position Shinidoki is asking for advice on a position that never existed. With that in mind, I wonder if he put the correct position into his chess engine? I'm not going to spend the time to chase down a "what-if" scenario.
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:48
    Originally posted by arrakis
    His question isn't a matter of whether to take the queen or not. His question is should he play Nh6+ 1st, ruining Black's pawn structure and then take the queen.

And I have an answer for him: In the game he quoted White must take the queen because after Nh6+ PxN, RxQ Black has Ne4+! ruining White's pawn structure and eliminating the black-squared bishop. ...[text shortened]... into his chess engine? I'm not going to spend the time to chase down a "what-if" scenario.
    With respect, i knew exactly what his question was, and answered it honestly.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 05:31
    Originally posted by arrakis

And I have an answer for him: In the game he quoted White must take the queen because after Nh6+ PxN, RxQ Black has Ne4+! ruining White's pawn structure and eliminating the black-squared bishop. ...[text shortened]... into his chess engine? I'm not going to spend the time to chase down a "what-if" scenario.
    the entire reason I didn't use the oringinal game (and moved the Knight) was because of Ne4+.....

-- I don't see how solving this is any different from trying to solve any other made up position.

and I put crafty on both positions, the one posted and after 21. kg8 of tal's game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree