Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    29 Jan '17 14:14
    With his last round 28 move destruction of Nepo, So can't be caught by anyone. Look out Magnus, there is another young gun after you!
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Jan '17 16:21
    Originally posted by sundown316
    With his last round 28 move destruction of Nepo, So can't be caught by anyone. Look out Magnus, there is another young gun after you!
    A gun already in the 2800+ club. But Maggy has had his number so far.
  3. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    29 Jan '17 20:55
    So hasn't lost in over 50 games. He's playing the best chess on the planet right now.
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Jan '17 23:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by byedidia
    So hasn't lost in over 50 games. He's playing the best chess on the planet right now.
    Well here is one where So lost to Maggie:

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1824447

    and just last year, not when So was 12 or something.

    BTW, you say in your profile you run a chess club for kids. Where is that? Are there any upcoming prodigies in your kids?
  5. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    30 Jan '17 17:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well here is one where So lost to Maggie:

    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1824447

    and just last year, not when So was 12 or something.

    BTW, you say in your profile you run a chess club for kids. Where is that? Are there any upcoming prodigies in your kids?
    Wow. Qxd1+!! Awesome move. I wonder how long So looked at the board before resigning. Yeah, that was 7 months ago. In blitz. I still say right NOW, So is the best player in the world. I can't wait to see him go up against Carlsen in a WCC match. It will be interesting to say the least.

    I teach chess at my daughter's elementary and middle school in northern California. I don't have any budding GMs in my group, but we've got pretty good depth. We do really well in team situations where depth matters more than board 1 strength. At local scholastic tournaments we get lots of kids winning trophies.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    31 Jan '17 02:12
    Originally posted by byedidia
    Wow. Qxd1+!! Awesome move. I wonder how long So looked at the board before resigning. Yeah, that was 7 months ago. In blitz. I still say right NOW, So is the best player in the world. I can't wait to see him go up against Carlsen in a WCC match. It will be interesting to say the least.

    I teach chess at my daughter's elementary and middle school i ...[text shortened]... re than board 1 strength. At local scholastic tournaments we get lots of kids winning trophies.
    What is the hidden trick in that? B x Q, R-E1+ k g2 Be5+ don't see the big win here.
  7. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    31 Jan '17 02:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the hidden trick in that? B x Q, R-E1+ k g2 Be5+ don't see the big win here.
    Look at Be1+ instead of Be4+(which is what I assume you meant), for which the only response is Kf3 (else mate... try it) and look for a nasty knight fork...

    -GIN
  8. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    31 Jan '17 02:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Look at Be1+ instead of Be4+(which is what I assume you meant), for which the only response is Kf3 (else mate... try it) and look for a nasty knight fork...

    -GIN
    Yeah, I started looking at B e1+ but didn't see the mate or the fork. So it leaves him with a rook up, R, B, Kn V two bishops. I wonder how long it took So to see all that and resign, if it happened instantly. Probably did,eh, considering how frigging strong he is
  9. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    31 Jan '17 05:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, I started looking at B e1+ but didn't see the mate or the fork. So it leaves him with a rook up, R, B, Kn V two bishops. I wonder how long it took So to see all that and resign, if it happened instantly. Probably did,eh, considering how frigging strong he is
    R, B, Kn vs two bishops and both bishops are hanging. You can only save one of them.
  10. 31 Jan '17 13:09
    Wes So - Magnus Carlsen, Blitz, Paris 2016,

  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Feb '17 14:41
    Originally posted by byedidia
    R, B, Kn vs two bishops and both bishops are hanging. You can only save one of them.
    There was that too Yep, he was royally screwed on that one.