1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 20:05
    What Softare program would you recommend for a 1400 player? I'm looking for a trainer that will improve my game. I used to have Chessmaster (I think 10th series) and I've heard about Fritz.

It seems to be all of the stronger players like Fritz, so I'm wondering if it's any good for novices.

Are there any others you would recommend?

You know what I would love is programs dedicated to certain openings. Instead of reading annotations from a book it becomes interactive. The same with middle and end game puzzles.

Any and all software recommendations would be appreciated.
  2. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 20:15
    Rybak is very good.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 20:372 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What Softare program would you recommend for a 1400 player? I'm looking for a trainer that will improve my game. I used to have Chessmaster (I think 10th series) and I've heard about Fritz.

It seems to be all of the stronger players like Fritz, so I'm wondering if it's any good for novices.

Are there any others you would recommend?

You ...[text shortened]... middle and end game puzzles.

Any and all software recommendations would be appreciated.
    have you thought of chess mentor, its entirely interactive, has all the things that you require, takes you through all the major openings and the ideas behind them, endgame studies, tactical studies, middle game plans. when you enter a move, it tells you why that move is perhaps not quite as accurate as other move orders. its mostly written by Silman, who is regarded in some quarters as one of the best writers for under 2000, if you cannot get the correct move, you are offered three options, subtle, intermediate and direct counsel, helping you to understand the position. I myself prefer books, i do not know why? the one that i am reading at the moment, is probably one of the best books i have ever read, simple chess by Michael Stean, i would recommend to anybody. I also have chess master, but it does not tell you why your move was wrong, even in the analysis, you kind of just get variations with a simple statement, this was whites greatest mistake, or such and such a variation would have led black to more mobility etc etc, which to be frank is not that helpful, same when analysing with a chess engine, its just tells you which move was tactically wrong based on a numerical value, but not why we reached the position in the first place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree