1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 21:30
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    No. The point is you should not give up unless you can solve a problem under 1min but to find problems which you CAN solve under 1min.

example: everyone (well, everyone who knows the rules) can solve this one in under one minute

white: Kh1, h2, g2
    black: Kg8, Ra8

black to move and mate.
    Look Jusuh, The first time you do a puzzle you do not give up after 1 minute.

Look at the puzzles in Winning Chess Tactics exam. The first time I doubt you can solve them all in 1 minute. That doesn't mean you give up. Spend 5 minutes max and then give up, look at the solution and do it again.

What's the point of spending 1 minute on a problem and then giving up?
  2. back in business
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 06:52
    Originally posted by RahimK

What's the point of spending 1 minute on a problem and then giving up?
    there is no point. Once more, the point is one should find problems which one can solve in under 1 minute. If one can not, one should not give up but to find easier problems.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 06:591 edit

Edit: You show me a reasonable site, master+ which says 1 min max of puzzles and I will show you a site which says 5 min max.
    Dan Heisman:

"All of the problems have to be easy enough to eventually be solved by recognition(!!!) (within reason). They also have to be basic enough to either be single motif, or very easy multiple motif combinations. The set should be a building block for more difficult problems."

also, check out this article:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman28.pdf
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 17:00
    there is no point. Once more, the point is one should find problems which one can solve in under 1 minute. If one can not, one should not give up but to find easier problems.
    Well lets just all player lower rated players and beat them up. If you can't then pick lower rated players then that.

Why bother playing players above your ratings since you can't beat them easily?

That's ridicilous. When I started the La Maza thing, 1000 problem and 7 rounds, I spent 5 minutes on most of the problems include the Yasser Seirwan Tactic test ones. After my 3 round I could do most of them under a minute.

What is the point in doing mate in 1 and mate 2 puzzles which are way to easy?

You need a challenge. Pattern recognition is built by doing problems over and over again, that doesn't mean you should spend only 1 min solving them.

If you can't solve a combination puzzle in under 1 minute, that doesn't mean you pick an easier one. You can still learn from it. In OTB you spend way more time on a normal move and I completely disagree with this 1 min thing.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 17:02
    Dan Heisman:

"All of the problems have to be easy enough to eventually be solved by recognition(!!!) (within reason). They also have to be basic enough to either be single motif, or very easy multiple motif combinations. The set should be a building block for more difficult problems."

also, check out this article:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman28.pdf
    "Eventually"

You see that.

5 min max, eventually you can solve them in under a minute by pattern recognition.

That's how it works.
  6. back in business
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 18:10
    Well lets just all player lower rated players and beat them up. If you can't then pick lower rated players then that.

Why bother playing players above your ratings since you can't beat them easily?

what the heck? I was talking about problems not players
  7. back in business
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 18:16

You need a challenge. Pattern recognition is built by doing problems over and over again, that doesn't mean you should spend only 1 min solving them.

If you can't solve a combination puzzle in under 1 minute, that doesn't mean you pick an easier one. You can still learn from it. In OTB you spend way more time on a normal move and I completely disagree with this 1 min thing.
    Wouldnt you say solving a problem like in the "Two part puzzle"-thread in under minute isnt a challenge?

In OTB you spend way more time on normal move? well, maybe you do but if you cant spot the idea (like saccing the rook in "Two part puzzle"-thread) in under, say, 30 seconds, you are very likely not to spot it at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree