1. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 04:54
    Hello All

I am looking for some help with my opening play. Specifically, an opening that allows me to "slow down" a game. Most times when I lose to higher ranked players it is due to my poor setups (which I am working on). Because of those poor setups, I often fall behind quickly because of piece count. I know that by learning to recognize openings will help by default, but is there a decent opening that tends to cater towards more defensive play?

I'd appreciate both white & black suggestions.

Also, keep in mind that even as white, I would not oppose losing the momentum advantage while I work on this aspect of my game.

THX in advance, Love the site and plan on subscribing soon!
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 04:59
    Keep in mind that if you lose material, it's not because of a poor opening choice. If you play a known opening and you lose a game, it's not because of the opening that you lost, it's because your play was poor. That said, something like the King's Indian Attack: 1. Nf3 2. g3 3. Bg2 4. d3 5. 0-0 against most anything. You can also try 1. d4 2. Nf3 3. Bf4 (the London System) against anything that allows it. These are slower and less dangerous openings. The plans are also easier to grasp. Give these a shot, see what you think.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 05:05
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Keep in mind that if you lose material, it's not because of a poor opening choice. If you play a known opening and you lose a game, it's not because of the opening that you lost, it's because your play was poor.
    agreed tony..

and kevin you might want to work on basic opening principles and dont worry what its called for a while..
  4. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 07:27
    Hey guys, I forgot to Thank you for the help...

I've been playing all sorts of KIA variations and using opening princibles to justify each move. It has some flaws that are easily exposed by some higher end players (1500-1700) but it is serving it's purpose. I was actually able to get into a decent (for me) middle game against a 1700 player in which I actually felt I had a touch of momentum. I became overly concerned with my King side and ended up blocking myself in with a poor bishop move.

Criticism Welcome & Thanks Again

Game ID 4686894 - I play black
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:132 edits
    Originally posted by KevinMWHM
    Hey guys, I forgot to Thank you for the help...

I've been playing all sorts of KIA variations and using opening princibles to justify each move. It has some flaws that are easily exposed by some higher end players (1500-1700) but it is serving it's purpose. I was actually able to get into a decent (for me) middle game against a 1700 player in which I ac ...[text shortened]... with a poor bishop move.

Criticism Welcome & Thanks Again

Game ID 4686894 - I play black
    also you could try 1.c4 2.g3 3.Bg2 4.Nc3 5.e3 6.Ne2 7.O-O 8.d5 against almost anything. also check out the London System, which is also pretty straight forward and safe.

and as black, stick with the french.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree