1. Joined
    06 Nov '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '08 20:05
    Hi,

The fist time i played online, i was completly outgamed. The lines were non conventional, bold atacks... i lost many times.

After i managed a defense, ou traded queens the user just disconects and goes away...

There are good (speed and classic players), just speed (chess players), and some classical, with regular openings moves.

Can someone help-me understant the main diferences betwen this 2 difent tipe of games, but related to the gameplay, not related to the time?

Thankz
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 01:16
    Originally posted by grafman
    Hi,

The fist time i played online, i was completly outgamed. The lines were non conventional, bold atacks... i lost many times.

After i managed a defense, ou traded queens the user just disconects and goes away...

There are good (speed and classic players), just speed (chess players), and some classical, with regular openings moves.

Can someone ...[text shortened]... en this 2 difent tipe of games, but related to the gameplay, not related to the time?

Thankz
    Some speed chess players have lines which they play exclusively and have memorized. They aren't necessarily the best lines, but are designed to be aggressive and (when possible) to be obscure: the idea is to win on time by confusing an unprepared opponent, or else to unbalance opponents with attacks or complex positions they may not be familiar with.

What you should do is to save these games and go over them later (offline) to see how much of your opponents' play made sense. You may find that in some cases the lines played by them aren't even sound. They are simply playing the law of large numbers, hoping that the number of unprepared, flustered, or slow players will outnumber those who can manage a defense to their pet lines. You also mention that when they stop winning they disconnect. Do they lose automatically then? Either way, another indication that they are less interested in playing chess than in pumping up their ratings or getting a run of quick wins.
  3. Joined
    01 Aug '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 03:24
    Hi,

Can someone ...[text shortened]... en this 2 difent tipe of games, but related to the gameplay, not related to the time?

Thankz
    When I first took up chess I only had access to on-line games, so I played a lot of shorter time controls. When I finally had the chance to play otb classical chess, I couldn't believe the difference - I saw SO much more, considered many different plans, adjusted from move to to move, etc. Blitz chess is ok for trying out new openings and for relaxing, but you will learn a lot more by playing longer games.

Scott
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 13:12
    Thanks, you both for your insight on this question.

- I will follow your advice, analise the games offline, and be prepared.
    - I' m also a more on the board long game player, and love the endgame.

Thankz you both
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 17:21
    Look at the following game by Ivanchuk who is good at speed chess but will also get into time trouble in slow chess.

Having more time for OTB than speed chess does not automatically mean you will have plenty of time. As you look at different possibilities, you will use up time analysing them.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Nov '08 18:52
    Hi,

Thankz
    Try to think of speed or blitz chess as a chance to experiment. Try new ideas, silly ideas, or even unsound ideas if you wish, but don't worry about the outcome. It dosen't count for much. You'll get better at blitz if you play a lot of games. Over the board chess with slower time controls is a more classical style of chess. This format begins to seperate the strong and weak players more clearly than blitz. It requires book study, practice, clock management, and good nerves.
    In my opinion the best format is correspondence chess, other players may disagree with me on this point, but correspondence chess is a combination chess compitition and home study course. It also has the added benifit of a flexible playing schedule. You can play and study when YOU are ready, rather than having to be at a tournament hall at a specific time...ready or not. Hope this helps. - bill718
    😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree