1. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 11:20
    Game 2166395

...move 16 Nc3, I could have captured on H7 instead. I usually 'would' grab the pawn...
    But then my Knight is stranded on a3 and fight's going on at the other side of the board, I left the pawn and brought my knight back into play, the knight saved the day for me...

I just thought i'd point that out to other people, who, like me, grab pawns, and forget the bigger picture... I've never gave much thought to my position in games, but I'm learning...

J
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 12:46
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    Game 2166395

...move 16 Nc3, I could have captured on H7 instead. I usually 'would' grab the pawn...
    But then my Knight is stranded on a3 and fight's going on at the other side of the board, I left the pawn and brought my knight back into play, the knight saved the day for me...

I just thought i'd point that out to other people, who, like me, g ...[text shortened]... picture... I've never gave much thought to my position in games, but I'm learning...

J
    IF I were White I would have been very concerned about playing 17.Qxh7 , seeing as it opens up files against my King.

But worse than that Qxh7 seems to have lost you a knight.

Queenie became trapped, and the only way out alive is a bunch of trades, which, turns out to be better for black after 24.Kxc7

then it all finishes with a lucky checkmate...
  3. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 13:12
    Thanks for the point about opening up files, I never even thought of that...

still learning...

j
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 20:501 edit
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    Thanks for the point about opening up files, I never even thought of that...

still learning...

j
    While Pawnstorms can be effective ways at getting at kings, pawns are slow and weak weapons and such attacks can take several moves.

Which is why opening files (oposing the king) can be such a great idea because it allows Rooks to develop threats....

if black plans to castle Kingside (0-0) then doubling the g-pawn to open the g-file can be quite a good idea.

Game 1920421

This is the best Example I could find....

White Started a huge Pawnstorm, but by about move 17, it fizzled out, and black was fine(ish)

move 23. Qxb5 won a pawn for white, however it does open up the b-file...which now means black has 2 open files to attack from. and as the game progresses you can see how the rooks used those file to great effect, with a little help from Queenie cause havoc in the centre.

Taking the pawns infront of Kings is not necessarily a bad idea, however, you must be careful and ensure that it doesn't allow your openant counterplay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree