1. Joined
    26 May '09
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 00:45
    The rating of your opponent shouldn't have any effect on you, it isn't pinpoint accurate of how well they play at chess. Play to the best of your ability. Taking advantage of every little thing isn't being aggressive and stopping a mate threat isn't being defensive, it's playing the game. If you play the best you can and you still lose, you can say "Ok good game, this person is clearly better than me".
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 03:54
    Originally posted by Renars
    is there any sound logic in believing that cautious defensive approach against (much) higher rated opponents works better, i.e. you escape from being knocked out in under 30 moves? while it cannot be a winning one, it seems to have worked on some of the occasions..
    That is a bad, bad strategy. Study hard and become a good player works better.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 10:39
    plus it takes time to be really really good, unless your a natural (of which there have been very few chess prodigys) and I mean years, not months or days of studying competing etc
  4. Standard memberCimon
    Strategos
    Ancient Greece
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 11:41
    Play what you know the best.
  5. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 12:21
    Warning: useless advice below.

Play a lot of much higher rated opponents and you'll eventually win some games just due to some probability of winning 🙂
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 13:40
    Originally posted by Cimon
    Play what you know the best.
    I think this is the best advice so far. Play something you know and like. If you trappy, tactical lines and you know them well, play them. I guarantee there will be some high-rated player who isn't well-prepared and will mess it up. If you happen to like the exchange French (a dull opening most of the time), by all means, play that. But don't change your style of play away from what's natural.
  7. The Smoke
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by Erekose
    I think this is the best advice so far. Play something you know and like. If you trappy, tactical lines and you know them well, play them. I guarantee there will be some high-rated player who isn't well-prepared and will mess it up. If you happen to like the exchange French (a dull opening most of the time), by all means, play that. But don't change your style of play away from what's natural.
    ok, I think I've had enough of feedback, including from some of the greats of this site (no pun intended) 🙂 screw the cautious defence, killer offence here we come! well, don't know why I actually asked this in the first place, given that I've had some pretty decent (imho) games against much higher (+400) rated opponents, like this:

I'm Black

8. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 17:24
    Very nice - white just got crushed. If you hadn't told me the ratings, I would never have known.
  9. back in business
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 06:23
    If opponent is higher rated but less skilled, I'd play just in normal way. Like last month i played against this 2250 FM, and I knew I am better than him although my rating is still considerably lower (2100), so I just played natural moves and waited until he blundered. Which he did pretty quickly.

If opponent is higher rated and more skilled, then I try to play as solid openings as possible, and try to simplify the position to an endgame where the skill difference usually isnt too large.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 13:40
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    If opponent is higher rated but less skilled, I'd play just in normal way. Like last month i played against this 2250 FM, and I knew I am better than him although my rating is still considerably lower (2100), so I just played natural moves and waited until he blundered. Which he did pretty quickly.

If opponent is higher rated and more skilled, then I try t ...[text shortened]... d try to simplify the position to an endgame where the skill difference usually isnt too large.
    hey, you've been busy, I see you also missed the win and drew against karttunen. a bit weird decision from him to play scandinavian against almost 400 pts lower rated player...
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 15:48
    Originally posted by wormwood
    hey, you've been busy, I see you also missed the win and drew against karttunen. a bit weird decision from him to play scandinavian against almost 400 pts lower rated player...
    My take is this...

I play to win just like anyone else. Just like someone my rating or lower, any perceived opportunity to attack is closely examined and then persued.

The only thing that's different is if they do something that seems to me like an obvious mistake, I'm VERY careful about acting on it. Because often they have a deeper plan or tactic that I don't see.

If I can't figure out why they made a "mistake" I'll act on it anyway. If it was a blunder then good for me. If it was a trap then I learned something.
  12. USA
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 16:471 edit
    Interestingly, in an article on the USCF website about the Foxwoods tournament, the author stated that "History reveals that the better player almost always wins these opposite-side castling games...". This means that the higher rated player should actively try for opposite side castling games, as he'll be able to overwhelm his opponent's defenses without too much difficulty. I've found that my own games seem to follow this logic.
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 16:50
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Interestingly, in an article on the USCF website about the Foxwoods tournament, the author stated that "History reveals that the better player almost always wins these opposite-side castling games...". This means that the higher rated player should actively try for opposite side castling games, as he'll be able to overwhelm his opponent's defenses without too much difficulty. I've found that my own games seem to follow this logic.
    History reveals that the higher rated player almost always wins. Doesn't matter wich side he is castling.
  14. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 17:23
    Well, it is mainly because when the lower rated has a winning position, he may not know how to win it and the higher rated can patiently t0o turn the table and he know how to win.

I believe it to be true.
  15. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 03:422 edits
    every second you spent yesterday wondering what strategy will get
    you over the edge against a stronger opponent.

spend that on a non-complicated ending today.

tomorrow, complicate the ending, just barely more.
    and then, play a new non-complicated ending.

repeat.

-GIN

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree