1. Joined
    03 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 17:43
    I would like to buy a chess book, just don't know which one. So, please recommend me one. I was thinking Modern Chess Strategy, but it's maybe outdated (is it)? Another one that might be good is unbeatable chess lessons.

I am an advanced beginner player, if that's necessary.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 17:52
    chernev: logical chess move by move.

one of the very few chess books that'll actual be good for you, instead of procrastination.
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:06
    May I ask why do you think that one is better than Unbeatable chess lessons? To me it seems like total-beginners book, using tones of words to explain why d4 or e4 is played, and he repeats explaining that for each game (at least that's what I read on amazon)
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:25
    Originally posted by YCP
    May I ask why do you think that one is better than Unbeatable chess lessons? To me it seems like total-beginners book, using tones of words to explain why d4 or e4 is played, and he repeats explaining that for each game (at least that's what I read on amazon)
    yep, that's it. he explains every single move in clear direct way, even the first one. then repeats that for 30 or so instructive games, until the points really sink in. the idea is to show the beginner how simple and principled good chess is, a peek inside to see how a grandmaster thinks about every move.

it's a book every chess player should read.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:25
    Correct Spelling and Grammar in Thread Titles-I.C. Moran
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:312 edits
    A few random thoughts:

There are lots of good books that people could recommend, but hard to recommend particular ones because we don't know much about you (what you've already read, your rating if any, etc).

Wormwood's recommendation certainly isn't bad. It's a classic.

There are actually two books titled "Modern Chess Strategy". One by Pachman, one by Edward Lasker. Pachman's is probably the more popular one. But I think they're both still in the older descriptive notation, which you may not want to deal with.

In good conscience, I wouldn't want to see anyone buy any book by Robert M. Snyder. He's currently spending time in prison, being recently convicted of some not very nice things. The book itself got a decent but not glowing review by ChessCafe. I think there are many better books you could go with.

Edit - Also, here's a link that might be helpful:
    http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:34
    Originally posted by YCP
    I would like to buy a chess book, just don't know which one. So, please recommend me one. I was thinking Modern Chess Strategy, but it's maybe outdated (is it)? Another one that might be good is unbeatable chess lessons.

I am an advanced beginner player, if that's necessary.
    Any tactics book would help, also an old, but good book would be My System by Nimzovich.
  8. Joined
    03 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:342 edits
    I don't know about My System.... there are some bad comments on Amazon.

@Mad Rock- I don't have an official rating, but I am rated 1400 on chess.com. I read one book about tactics (pins, skewers, discovered attack and stuff like that).

Also, do you think that Nunn's Understanding chess move by move is too advanced for me? The way I see it, it's like Chernev's book just for advanced players.

And that Naroditsky's Mastering positional chess seems good....

I'm sorry if I'm being too demading, but I don't want to spend money on some book that's not gonna help me.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 21:40
    Originally posted by YCP
    @Mad Rock- I don't have an official rating, but I am rated 1400 on chess.com. I read one book about tactics (pins, skewers, discovered attack and stuff like that).

Also, do you think that Nunn's Understanding chess move by move is too advanced for me? The way I see it, it's like Chernev's book just for advanced players.
    I'm going to stick my neck out and assume that a 1400 chess.com rating would translate to a somewhat lower elo rating. Based on that assumption, I'd guess that Nunn's "Understanding Chess Move by Move" is probably over your head (and over my head, as well!). Two reasons for my guess:

1) The ChessCafe review of the book is very helpful. It contrasts the different writing styles between Nunn's book and Chernev's book:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review269.pdf

2) If you go to the Heisman link I gave in my earlier post, you'll see that Dan classifies Nunn's book as an advanced book for players rated over 1650. (And that's a USCF rating, which is not too different than an elo rating.)

So if you're going to decide to get an instructive game anthology for your next book, I'd say that Chernev's book is probably ideal for you (Wormwood's rec was a good one), and Nunn's book is probably too advanced.
  10. Joined
    03 Oct '10
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 21:441 edit
    Well, I'm going with Chernev's book then.... thanks
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 21:47
    Originally posted by YCP
    Well, I'm going with Chernev's book then.... thanks
    You might also want to go to the Heisman link I gave (his recommended books page). There you will find a couple of links to two of his Novice Nook articles: Chess Books and Prerequisites, and An Improvement plan. The articles are a little dated, but still very helpful.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 16:16
    go with Chernev or Reinfeld.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 12:264 edits
    Hello friends in spite of finding the book i suggest you to find the online sites that are very helpful in providing the useful tips and improves your game.There are lots of websites are available online providing chess books. On internet you will find the <a best chess coaches to improve your game. I suggest you one website http://www.ichessu.com.
  14. Joined
    07 May '10
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:03
    Originally posted by YCP
    I'm sorry if I'm being too demading, but I don't want to spend money on some book that's not gonna help me.
    Some suggestions:

(1) Visit a public library or a bookstore. The best way to see if a book looks good is to look at it.

(2) Buy used online. Most titles have multiple sellers with a wide variety of prices, as well as a description of book condition.

(3) Consider "The Improving Chess Thinker" by chess coach Dan Heisman (2009). Here's a link with reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Improving-Chess-Thinker-Dan-Heisman/dp/0979148243

Incidentally, you'll find a few bad reviews for nearly any book on sale where the general public can post comments. The question is always whether the objections are relevant and compelling. Nearly 2/3 of the 15 reviews of this title are five-star. The first two reviews are particularly well written, descriptive, and accurate.
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 10:03
    May be a little late if you've already decided, but I've recently brought two of Seirawan's books: Winning Chess Tactics and Winning Chess Strategies, and found them to be very helpful already though I haven't yet finished either. I imagine the rest of the series is just as good...

Of course, you may be a better player than I (I don't have rating OTB/chess.com and you don't have one here, so no way to compare!) so maybe others here have used them and can comment on their level...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree