1. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 02:41
    Im thinking of improving my mating net skills by doing the whole Polgar book (chess: 5334 problems) ... in a week.
    is it even possible? I think it would also help my tactical stamina, which kills me at OTB. Im trying to do an OTB tourney sometime next year so that would help.

has anyone even finished this book before? when I was just starting out a few years ago I did maybe 1000 from it and it helped, but I was way too weak to get the mate in 3s without taking 20 minutes for some of the harder ones
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 02:461 edit
    Are you going to set them up on a board, or just solve the diagrams?
    I have that book in paperback. I use it to workout it's so heavy.
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 02:51
    Originally posted by AlexanderAlekhine
    Are you going to set them up on a board, or just solve the diagrams?
    I have that book in paperback. I use it to workout it's so heavy.
    Im going to set it up on a board. I havnt played OTB in a while, and my calculating abilities are way weaker in 3d than 2d (as both chesstempo and corr. games are both 2d)

today I just did some assorted tactics, and it took a bit of getting used to having it set them all up but it became fine after a while. If I remember right most of the Polgar book has not too many pieces on the board.

and yes, the book is the biggest in my collection by about 10 pounds! 2 of the 7 days will be needed just to lift it to my chess table 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 02:57
    Well if you are setting them up on a board, I think 1 week is not enough time.
    Yes a lot of the positions have only a few pieces, but as you progress you get more and more pieces on the board.
    Also...that book isn't as easy as people think.
    Ya it's mate in 1...easy...but the mates in 2 and 3 are harder than you would think.

I think you would need 3 to 4 weeks of atleast 3 hours a day to do the whole book if you set each position up on a board.

I've never done that much tactical study though so maybe ask someone else.
    It may be possible to do it in 1 week but it will be tough.
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 03:07
    I'm not sure, just start, enjoy yourself, stop when it gets bothersome
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 03:22
    Originally posted by AlexanderAlekhine

the mates in 2 and 3 are harder than you would think.
    I don't think anyone thinks mate in two or 3 are easy.

Mates in 2s can be insanely hard.
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 03:42
    yeah, for sure.. the mate in 3s get fiendishly hard in that book. I might have been 1500 when I last did some from the book and I got stuck on one problem for 3 days. It was a king in the center and you had a rook and 3 minor pieces. it looks easy as if youre going to just bully him quick, but he slips out of the net everytime, so I started trying dozens of in-between moves.
  8. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 03:53
    Originally posted by irontigran
    Im thinking of improving my mating net skills by doing the whole Polgar book (chess: 5334 problems) ... in a week.
    is it even possible? I think it would also help my tactical stamina, which kills me at OTB. Im trying to do an OTB tourney sometime next year so that would help.

has anyone even finished this book before? when I was just starting out a f ...[text shortened]... t I was way too weak to get the mate in 3s without taking 20 minutes for some of the harder ones
    Do 5-6 a day, and SLEEP on them! Much more useful than doing a whole bunch in a week. Most of the time, you'll forget the patterns if you do too many in a day, so bring the number down a bit. Remember, cram studying never works!
  9. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 09:13
    If you read that GIGANTIC book in one week ...I`d recommend immediately phoning Guinness to establish a new world record.
  10. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 15:50

has anyone even finished this book before? when I was just starting out a f ...[text shortened]... t I was way too weak to get the mate in 3s without taking 20 minutes for some of the harder ones
    I really dont think you could go through it in a week if as you say the in 3's take 20 mins. And your plan is to set them up? OK go through them in a week because now you can, and with all the time left over you could also go through Comprehensive Chess Endings, by Yuri Averbakh.
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 15:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 16:26
    Im thinking of doing the whole Polgar book (chess: 5334 problems) ... in a week.
    Im trying to do an OTB tourney sometime next year so that would help.
    mmmmh... somewhere next year is in a week?
    set up every board in 10s taking 20s to solve each, will keep you busy close to 7hrs a day the whole week. And to remember what ?
    Haven't heard such a silly thing in a while. But then...
  13. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 17:36
    A few years ago, a non-master named Mike de la Maza wrote a little book called Rapid Chess Improvement. In his book, he outlined a tactics-only study plan where, over a few months time, he built up to doing 1200 progressively more difficult tactical problems in an 8 hour period. He claimed a gain of 700 OTB rating points in 2 years using his method. This seems like an insanely heavy work load unless you don't have anything else to do. So is 5334 in a week possible? I suppose. If you've got the time and motivation, give it a shot. What have you got to lose?
  14. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 17:36
    Setting up the pieces on a board seems like a strange plan to me.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '09 18:54
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    Setting up the pieces on a board seems like a strange plan to me.
    How so?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree