1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 15:43
    Whilst googling for, um, something else, I stumbled across a report of the SuperNationals III, held in Nashville in 2005.

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/scholastic07.pdf
    (this is a PDF document, not a normal HTML page).

The total number of participants was 5270 - an astonishing number! And these were all children so there must have been loads of parents, teachers, younger siblings etc. there as well.

Did anyone play in this tournament? I'd love to know what it was like playing in such a huge event. I went to a tournament in the UK a few months ago in which 1000 children played, and that seemed massive!
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 20:17
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Whilst googling for, um, something else, I stumbled across a report of the SuperNationals III, held in Nashville in 2005.

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/scholastic07.pdf
    (this is a PDF document, not a normal HTML page).

The total number of participants was 5270 - an astonishing number! And these were all children so there must have been loads of paren ...[text shortened]... a tournament in the UK a few months ago in which 1000 children played, and that seemed massive!
    I was there. There were tons of people walking around, but surprisingly enough, it was that bad. The building was huge so everyone was spread out. The tournament itself was horrible. The first round started an hour and a half late, and the playing rooms were freezing. Overall it was a great experiance though. The setting was beautiful and the variety of people there was amazing. There were tons of master there as well. Karpov, Polgar (Susan), and Nakamura all made the trip for lectures.

Supernationsl IV will be at the same place in '09. Can't wait. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree