1. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 10:49
    Until one gets to a very high rating level, I think you need only 3 openings, one with White and 2 with Black. But you must know them very well and very deeply with all variations. If they are traditionally accepted sound ones, they will work against any surprise things your opponent tries. However, they must suit your personal chess style whatever your style is, so they must be carefully chosen.
    So I agree with both ideas, that surprise openings are not a good idea and that they can work OTB, but you take a risk is using them. I think you're safer using what you know well.
    I feel the purpose of the opening is just to reach a playable middlegame.
  2. Joined
    18 Apr '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 17:57
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    Until one gets to a very high rating level, I think you need only 3 openings, one with White and 2 with Black. But you must know them very well and very deeply with all variations. If they are traditionally accepted sound ones, they will work against any surprise things your opponent tries. However, they must suit your personal chess style whatever you ...[text shortened]... what you know well.
    I feel the purpose of the opening is just to reach a playable middlegame.
    I disagree. If for example you choose as White 1. e4, be prepared for e5, d5, c5, Nf6 and all manner. Two as Black, does not even cover some openings such as e4 and d4 properly.
  3. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    21 Apr '08 21:58
    Originally posted by Zweite
    I disagree. If for example you choose as White 1. e4, be prepared for e5, d5, c5, Nf6 and all manner. Two as Black, does not even cover some openings such as e4 and d4 properly.
    However, as I said, if you know all your variations of your chosen openings, you are then prepared for any eventuality. On the other hand, if you choose an opening that requires a lot of preparation, then it's harder. A player who likes 1.e4 will have met all the things you suggest and should be ready for all that. The same is true for a 1.d4 or a 1.c4 player.
    You need 2 as Black to cover replies to 1.e4 and 1.d4. Replies to 1.c4 and 1.Nf3 are already covered in the replies to 1.d4 if you have chosen your openings wisely. Other openings you meet as Black follow logically from these and can virtually be handled OTB if you've done your homework wisely.
    In both cases, you will be endeavouring to transpose into the opening you wanted from the start, and your extra knowledge in your chosen openings will more often than not give you a very slight advantage even if the transposition is unsuccessful.
    This appiles only to players rated below 1800 or so. If you're above that, or if your opponent is above that, then you are correct.
    I don't think you need to study openings, except for yoyr chosen ones, until you achieve a rating above 1800.
    Your time is more wisely spent on tactics and endgames if you're below 1800.
  4. Joined
    18 Apr '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '08 16:01
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    However, as I said, if you know all your variations of your chosen openings, you are then prepared for any eventuality. On the other hand, if you choose an opening that requires a lot of preparation, then it's harder. A player who likes 1.e4 will have met all the things you suggest and should be ready for all that. The same is true for a 1.d4 or a 1.c4 ...[text shortened]... g above 1800.
    Your time is more wisely spent on tactics and endgames if you're below 1800.
    True. I would certainly agree tactics and endgmaes are to start with at least as important as the opening repertoire.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree