1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 07:25
    Just shy of three years ago, I was giving way too much time and attention to chess. Perhaps some of you can relate. Anyway, I walked away from the game at the time. Then a few days ago I saw that movie, Queen to Play, and I got kind of fired up. The allure of chess got the best of me, and now I am back in it.

I knew I would be rusty, but I can't believe how much ground I have lost! I have played a few live games (10, 15, and 30 minutes per player) and lost them all. I don't usually lose most, let alone all, of the games I play. I can't believe what a hard time I am having playing either live or correspondence. I seem to have lost pretty much all of my chess savvy. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing!

What a sorry state of affairs!
  2. Joined
    03 Dec '12
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 07:47
    When I came back I was the same way. Just quit playing for 10 days or so and bust out a tactics book and complete it a few times. Then do 50% book 50% games. Eventually it will come back. good luck
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '12 16:34
    Originally posted by basso
    Just shy of three years ago, I was giving way too much time and attention to chess. Perhaps some of you can relate. Anyway, I walked away from the game at the time. Then a few days ago I saw that movie, Queen to Play, and I got kind of fired up. The allure of chess got the best of me, and now I am back in it.

I knew I would be rusty, but I can't believe how ...[text shortened]... my chess savvy. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing!

What a sorry state of affairs!
    I was away from the game 30 years and retirement gave me the time to come back. Yes, I don't remember all those opening variations I had memorized back in the day, but I think these young players coming up are better now. I started back playing right here on RHP before I joined a chess club. The young fellows at the chess club are used to playing much faster and I quickly found that I was not up to par at their speed. I never could think fast anyway. RHP is better for me, but I have not given up on OTB play yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree