1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 19:23
    I've been using chess.emrald.net to practice tactics, as well as reading Sierawan's "Winning Chess Tactics" and Nunn's "Learn Chess Tactics" in an effort to sharpen my game. However, the tactics server is time based, so a correct answer delivered slowly still subtracts points from your rating. I realize that speed is of the essence when calculating OTB, but is there a different tactics server that isn't time based? I find that I'm scrambling to make a move as quickly as possible, without really absorbing the patterns.
  2. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 19:24
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I've been using chess.emrald.net to practice tactics, as well as reading Sierawan's "Winning Chess Tactics" and Nunn's "Learn Chess Tactics" in an effort to sharpen my game. However, the tactics server is time based, so a correct answer delivered slowly still subtracts points from your rating. I realize that speed is of the essence when calculating OTB, but i ...[text shortened]... crambling to make a move as quickly as possible, without really absorbing the patterns.
    http://chesstempo.com/
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 19:54
    Originally posted by orion25
    what he said, it's an amazing site
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 19:59
    Cool, thanks. I will definitely give it a try!

How helpful does everyone else seem to find these servers? Did the servers improve your OTB performance significantly?
  5. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 20:03
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Cool, thanks. I will definitely give it a try!

How helpful does everyone else seem to find these servers? Did the servers improve your OTB performance significantly?
    I don't know about OTB but it certainly helped me with CC
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 20:05
    Well obviously training tactics help otb play. The real advantage of this site for me was that it made training tactics actually addictive, so it didn't feel like a chore or anything.
  7. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 20:22
    I use the Chess Tactics Server too, but just aim for a high success rate, and don't pay serious attention to the time, or my rating.

I think I'm at 88% or so, which is pretty good for me, and it's helped reduce my "blunder rate" during games, as I've committed more of the tactical patterns into memory. Helps on both ends... recognizing when you've got a tactical combo, and when your opponent is maneuvering for one.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 22:001 edit
    Originally posted by orion25
    exacty, it's the single best on the web. CTS is like the bullet of tactics training, some people find that useful but I don't, and I suck at it I might add. Chesstempo blitz is proper blitz plus it also has the standard training mode where you can go for absolute accuracy without being punished for time.

it has helped me immensely.
  9. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 10:05
    ChessTempo is great. It has timed blitz tactics, untimed standard tactics and
    endgame training. You can create custom problem sets, view the most common
    mistakes made by other users and view the analysis of the four best moves for
    any given problem. The owner states that his goal was to create a chess
    improvement site not just another tactics site. I have found it useful in improving
    the accuracy of my play and my ability to analyze positions.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 20:10
    chesstempo has inflated ratings, and that's why many people go there.

Realistic ratings can be found at the chess tactics server, www.chess.emerald.net
  11. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 20:30
    Originally posted by Automaton

Realistic ratings can be found at the chess tactics server, www.chess.emerald.net
    what? you can't compare tactic servers by their ratings, that's pretty irrelevant if you ask me. I prefere chesstempo due to its good interface
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by Automaton

many people go to chesstempo because of it's richer features, different training types, better interface, better problem set, better time management and livelier community.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 23:151 edit
    Originally posted by philidor position
    many people go to chesstempo because of it's richer features, different training types, better interface, better problem set, better time management and livelier community.
    most of the problem set was lifted from CTS, then added inferior ambiguous solutions. the rest is just fluff. ridiculously high ratings and blaming the time control for their own lack of discipline are easily the most defining reasons why some people gravitatate towards chesstempo.

livelier community? well, could be. but how on earth could that make a difference in tactical training?? I can see only bad consequences with that: if you don't get a tactic, you WORK on it until you do. anything else will simply decrease the effect of doing tactics.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 23:30
    Originally posted by wormwood
    most of the problem set was lifted from CTS, then added inferior ambiguous solutions. the rest is just fluff. ridiculously high ratings and blaming the time control for their own lack of discipline are easily the most defining reasons why some people gravitatate towards chesstempo.

livelier community? well, could be. but how on earth could that make a di ...[text shortened]... c, you WORK on it until you do. anything else will simply decrease the effect of doing tactics.
    Ya! what he said. 😏 CTS rules.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 23:42
    Originally posted by wormwood
    most of the problem set was lifted from CTS, then added inferior ambiguous solutions.
    seems you love stories. prove this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree