1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 20:00
    Do you know any way to improve your attacking game?
    I am currently reading Vukovic Art of Attack but I am not enjoying too much...trying hard to finish it...
    I have discovered that, even I am pretty decent in tactics(I improved it with exercises) I am somehow pathetic in playing attacking chess...that kind of chess where you are a pawn(or so) down but you have compensation(?!)...
    I am a 1.d4 positional player and even I usually play 2. c4 I know the lines where the opponent accept the pawn and I am most afraid of them...
    Getting stronger in the latest years and being a better tactical player, made me willing to play also sharp gambits, but I somehow collapse in trying maybe to get too fast and hard my material back...or I do not know where...
    any advice?
  2. Earth
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 20:18
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Do you know any way to improve your attacking game?
    I am currently reading Vukovic Art of Attack but I am not enjoying too much...trying hard to finish it...
    I have discovered that, even I am pretty decent in tactics(I improved it with exercises) I am somehow pathetic in playing attacking chess...that kind of chess where you are a pawn(or so) down but you h ...[text shortened]... trying maybe to get too fast and hard my material back...or I do not know where...
    any advice?
    Well you are better than me vipiu, and clearly a scholar of the game if the forums are anything to go by, so my opinion may not be of great value, but....
    I believe that attacking is not a science, it is a state of mind. Attacking players apply the same strategic, tactical and calculative guidelines as everyone else, but they do something very different - they take risks most wouldn't.
    I personally have changed my style of late to do just that, reaping rich rewards, but the players that impress me the most (the great attacking GMs) don't have the rigid positional state of mind you infer you have in your approach. Attacking chess is not about being sure your short term concessions will yield advantage later, it is about taking the chance that it will without being certain. A pawn here, even a sacrifice there, until you try them and risk losing you will never know.
    Perhaps the way forward is to start trying some really high risk but creative attacks in some of your games, as compared against using your normal style in the others. In recent games where I have got a result, or held my own against far better opposition, I did it by asking questions of them, not by trying to be positional and perfect.
  3. e4
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 20:19
    "I somehow collapse in trying maybe to get too fast and hard my material back..."

Wrong attitude there. You should not sac to be looking to get the
    material back. Force your opponent to return it.

Attacking players don't consider getting back the sacced material.
    The piece/pawns were sacced to mate the King.
    Not to go into some equal endgame.

The book you have is very good. I know it's hard going. I doubt if
    I would read it today but when it first came out I devoured it.

Sometimes of course your position does not justify an attack so be wary
    about premature attacks (I should talk?).

But if the conditions are right. And Vuk's book has excellent guiding
    principles. Then go for it. Don't hesitate.

If you cannot see how it ends (the final mating pattern) but it's looks
    very difficult to defend and you have activity then go for it - always.

Once on the sacrificial path there is no going back. If the attack
    is dying you must throw more pieces onto the fire.

As with everything experience is what counts. So play as oftern as you
    can and attack as often as you can. You will soon find the attacks
    start to click.
  4. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 21:45
    I agree with both policestate and greenpawn-very good advice : )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree