Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 18 Jul '11 17:02
    So recently, I have began my quest in chess excellence. When I am not working I am probably studying chess. My sister has taken an intrest in my play and has asked me to teach her. I have just graduated. I was the first board at my school and she wants to make a mark for herself too. She knows how the pieces work and some tactics. I showed her some basic checkmates as well. She likes playing a triangle system with her pawns that looks very similar to a semi-slav. I don't think I will discount this strategy because she seems to like it. I thought about teaching her the Caro Kann as well and the Stonewall/ Colle openings because of their similarity. She has shown a good bit of promise in her play. I'm very excited to keep teaching her and I was wondering what else you folks would suggest. I have read endgames are a very effective teaching tool and opening theory is vital for the young learner to understand. I have also read "tactics, tactics, tactics" but I don't want to stomp her intrest out with lots of learning. I think her reading any chess books is out of the question although if you have some to recommend to me in order to teach her more effectively I would certainly be open to that. Thanks in advance to all who will provide any information that will help me out!
  2. 18 Jul '11 17:35 / 2 edits
    I'd suggest that you open up an account for her at Chesstempo.com. Have her do tactics and if you wish upgrade so she can do end game puzzles too.

What's nice about computer puzzles is that once you miss it, the program will show you the solution. She needs to figure out why the answer is what it is. If she doesn't understand, you need to be there to explain why the moves work as they do and why what she did was wrong.

I can figure out why I was wrong a vast majority of the time, but at times I either just lump it and go on or post a question on a chess forum.

Chess tactics puzzles will do a couple of things for her. Number one it will help to develop her board vision and number two it will show her how certain tactics work.

Both the tactics and end game puzzles are given ratings so she will always be working at her level, once she hits her rating.

I also like Chessvideos.tv, they have some puzzle generators for working certain situations. This is the one that I used for learning how to checkmate with queen vs knight: http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/king-and-knight-vs-king-and-queen.php
  3. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    18 Jul '11 17:46
    Originally posted by 14th Street Break
    So recently, I have began my quest in chess excellence. When I am not working I am probably studying chess. My sister has taken an intrest in my play and has asked me to teach her. I have just graduated. I was the first board at my school and she wants to make a mark for herself too. She knows how the pieces work and some tactics. I showed her some ...[text shortened]... n to that. Thanks in advance to all who will provide any information that will help me out!
    If your sister has good looking female friends who are also interested in chess, you have reached the promised land. Enjoy this moment!
  4. 18 Jul '11 18:36
    http://www.stappenmethode.nl/stepsmethod/tekst_info.htm#NIEUWE