someone up there forgot 0-0-0-0
    what move is that?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 08:13
    Originally posted by MrHand
    what move is that?
    0-0-0-0 was a loophole in the FIDE rules. It was used once, and once only, in a real game. Rigtly so according to the rules formulated at that time.

It is now corrected.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 09:055 edits
    The rules of castling is as follows.

You move the king two squares towards a rook. Then you move the rook to the square between from where your king came from and the square where it came.
    You cannot castle when your king has previously been moved, when the rook has moved, there is no pieces between the king and the rook, and if the king is not in chess in any of his three squares involved.
    Right?

Okay look at this position. Find mate in two!

If white promotes his pawn to a rook, 1 e7-e8R, black moves his king 1 ... Ka2-b2 the we see that the rook hasn't been moved (a virgin rook), there are no pieces beween the king and the rook, and the king is not attacked. Then the castling is possible, and is denoted 2. 0-0-0-0. In this case a mate.

This was the loophole. Worked by the old rule. Now the rule says:

"FIDE rule 3.8.a.ii. ‘castling'. This is a move of the king and either rook of the same colour on the same rank, counting as a single move of the king and executed as follows: the king is transferred from its original square two squares towards the rook, then that rook is transferred to the square the king has just crossed."
    (the rule change in bold)
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 14:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Glad to see there's some other "old timers" here who don't care for that darbrun, newfangled algebraic! And as most of my chess books are older than Dick Cheney, I'm still used to P-K4 and I'm sticking to it!!!
    Luddite
  5. e4
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 18:44
    00 = Castle Kingside.
    000 = Castles Queenside.
    0000 = My usual points tally after 4 rounds.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 23:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    00 = Castle Kingside.
    000 = Castles Queenside.
    0000 = My usual points tally after 4 rounds.
    00000 = A really really good Orgasm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree