1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 18:23
    This came up in another thread, but I found a quote that's worth repeating:

"Botvinnik regarded Capablanca's book Chess Fundamentals as undoubtedly the best chess book ever written. In it, Capablanca pointed out that while the bishop was usually stronger than the knight, queen + knight was usually better than queen + bishop -- the bishop merely mimics the queen's diagonal move, while the knight can immediately reach squares the queen cannot. Botvinnik credits Capablanca as the first with this insight"

Plus there's a lot of other cool tips, like how to draw with a bare king against king+pawn, etc. , which I've seen experienced players miss. I had Chess Fundamentals a long time ago, might buy it again and check it out.

2. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 18:32
    I had it when I was still pretty new to chess, and I thought it was really dry and a lot of the stuff went right over my head. Might try and dig it out again.
  3. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 00:54
    i was looking at it today at barnes and nobles.....maybe i'll go get it.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 15:45
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    I had it when I was still pretty new to chess, and I thought it was really dry and a lot of the stuff went right over my head. Might try and dig it out again.
    If you first read "Chess Primer" (also by Capablanca) and only then read "Chess Fundamentals", your understqnding of chess will increase dramatically.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 15:56
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    If you first read "Chess Primer" (also by Capablanca) and only then read "Chess Fundamentals", your understqnding of chess will increase dramatically.
    I believe that's true, those two books may be a good one-two punch for a beginner. If I recall correctly, Capablanca only wrote those two books. Never saw his "Chess Primer", I assume it's very basic, in fact what little I remember of Chess Fundamentals seems that it was a bit short and simple, but that's where I learned how to keep the opposition with a king against king+pawn until the last move when you're backed up against the last rank, then move straight back and keep opposition with the pawn to draw. It's amazing how many players who should know better miss that little trick.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 16:03
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I believe that's true, those two books may be a good one-two punch for a beginner. If I recall correctly, Capablanca only wrote those two books. Never saw his "Chess Primer", I assume it's very basic, in fact what little I remember of Chess Fundamentals seems that it was a bit short and simple, but that's where I learned how to keep the opposition with ...[text shortened]... awn to draw. It's amazing how many players who should know better miss that little trick.
    Capablanca's first book was "My Chess Career." A book called something like "Capablanca's Legacy: Last Lectures" was published postumously. It is (allegedly) a collection in print form of a series of radio lectures that he gave shortly before his death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree