Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    26 Dec '10 02:13 / 1 edit
    Novelties.

Sure you might have played a game with a position that you can't find in any database, but did you do it on purpose? No!

These are what I call "patzer" novelties, that probably have resulted from your unsound play.

Real novelties are thought out time-bombs to designed to crush the opponent, not the fruits of some silly class A player's poor understanding of positional principles.

Behold, a cache of deadly WMD's:

http://shop.chesscafe.com/In_Your_Face_Chess_Novelties.asp

Of course a resource like this will be lost on you silly patzers, many of you only rated over 2000 in turn-based play.

Look up on Mount Olympus, and despair! I'm comfortable in stating that most people on here, despite how much time you spend on opening study, are nowhere near the level of the author of this precious tome:

http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Type in TOCHER, ANDREW. Then cry yourself to sleep.
  2. 26 Dec '10 02:20
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Novelties.

Sure you might have played a game with a position that you can't find in any database, but did you do it on purpose? No!

These are what I call "patzer" novelties, that probably have resulted from your unsound play.

Real novelties are thought out time-bombs to designed to crush the opponent, not the fruits of some silly class A player's p ...[text shortened]... nt/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

wow, we should all be publishing our latest novelties!
  3. 26 Dec '10 06:45
    Novelties.

Real novelties are thought out time-bombs to designed to crush the opponent, not the fruits of some silly class A player's p ...[text shortened]... nt/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Don't worry that can't actually be THE andrew tocher
  4. 26 Dec '10 11:27
    Novelties.

Of course a resource like this will be lost on you silly patzers, many of you only rated over 2000 in turn-based play.

What kind of chess isn't turn-based?
  5. 26 Dec '10 12:20 / 1 edit
    A review here about In Your Face Chess Novelties by Rick Kennedy.

http://www.chessville.com/reviews/InYourFaceChessNovelties.htm
  6. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    26 Dec '10 12:36 / 1 edit
    Novelties.

Real novelties are thought out time-bombs to designed to crush the opponent, not the fruits of some silly class A player's p nt/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

seriously dude, get a gf. : O )
  7. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    26 Dec '10 14:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    seriously dude, get a gf. : O )
    If you can convince my wife the need for that, I'll buy you a membership on here for the rest of your life.

😉
  8. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    27 Dec '10 16:00
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    It's called turn-based because you get an allotted amount of time to make your move, then it's the opponent's turn.

Most OTB games you don't get time limit per turn, but you have a set amount of time to play the entire game.
  9. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    27 Dec '10 20:06
    I always assumed that they started calling it turn based to attract failures of RTS games without the stigma of being Correspondence Chess.
  10. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    28 Dec '10 01:43
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I always assumed that they started calling it turn based to attract failures of RTS games without the stigma of being Correspondence Chess.
    Now that's funny!
  11. 30 Dec '10 05:17
    A quote from the promotion: "Is it time to begin winning again with the Ruy?"

Not such a novelty...
  12. 30 Dec '10 09:42
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    Kung Fu Chess?
  13. 30 Dec '10 10:35
    It's called turn-based because you get an allotted amount of time to make your move, then it's the opponent's turn.

Most OTB games you don't get time limit per turn, but you have a set amount of time to play the entire game.
    So proper old school correspondence chess isn't turn based? 10 moves in 40 days certainly seems similar to the OTB x moves in t minutes.