1. Joined
    08 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 May '07 16:371 edit
    I like to play this opening from time to time, but I'm not fully familiar with all off it's possibilities. I was wondring iff anyone else on this site plays it, and what their success-rates are.

[edit] For those who don't know the danish gambit, it's a variation of the center game (ECO C21) namely:

1. e4 e5
    2. d4 exd4
    3. c3

DGA is:

3. ... dxc3
    4. Bc4 dxb2
    5. Bxb2

[/edit]
  2. Under Cover
    Moves
    14 May '07 16:45
    Originally posted by iluphade
    I like to play this opening from time to time, but I'm not fully familiar with all off it's possibilities. I was wondring iff anyone else on this site plays it, and what their success-rates are.

[edit] For those who don't know the danish gambit, it's a variation of the center game (ECO C21) namely:

1. e4 e5
    2. d4 exd4
    3. c3

DGA is:

3. ... dxc3
    4. Bc4 dxb2
    5. Bxb2

[/edit]
    I use this opening frequently in Blitz, because it can be fun if you catch someone off guard with it. I don't think it is sound enough for CC though, so I wouldn't try it here.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:02
    The following line leads to a slight edge for Black, according to Reuben Fine in "Chess the Easy Way":

1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 c3 dc 4 Bc4 cb 5 Bb2 d5 6 Bd5 Nf6 7 Bf7 Kf7 8 Qd8 Bb4 9 Qd2 Bd2 10 Nd2 c5

Also probably equal is 1 e4 e5 2 d4 ed 3 c3 Qe7
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:09
    Its great for OTB or blitz, but not so great in CC... I love the thrill of gambits, and this one is definitly exciting!
  5. Joined
    08 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:12
    I agree that it isn't ideal for correspondence games. Another fun gambit I've been getting very good results with is the unexpected Müller-Schulze-gambit in the four-knights-game. It's painfully surprising, and to my astonishment it is quite playable, even in correspondence games.
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:16
    I agree that it isn't ideal for correspondence games. Another fun gambit I've been getting very good results with is the unexpected Müller-Schulze-gambit in the four-knights-game. It's painfully surprising, and to my astonishment it is quite playable, even in correspondence games.
    Ah, the infamous "Halloween Gambit"

1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Nc3 Nf6
    4.Nxe5?!

Honestly, I've never played... maybe I should try it in a blitz game some time.
  7. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:19
    I'd be up to defending (playing it as white) the danish gambit in CC against anybody who thinks it is a bad opening!!
  8. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    14 May '07 17:321 edit
    Looks like we are going to play a game here with the Müller-Schulze-gambit... so if anyone wants to follow along, here is the link: Game 3557261 I am going to attempt a refutation! (no comments on in-progress games please)
  9. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:23
    I like this opening but I usually play it in OTB blitz. CC is really too slow for it. Though it's quite nice, except the variation where black gives a pawn back -> 1.e4 e5 2.d4 dc 3.c3 d5! I think that this seems to be the most sound variation for black.
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:26
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I like this opening but I usually play it in OTB blitz. CC is really too slow for it. Though it's quite nice, except the variation where black gives a pawn back -> 1.e4 e5 2.d4 dc 3.c3 d5! I think that this seems to be the most sound variation for black.
    I agree, but that really wouldn't be the Danish Gambit Accepted then.
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 May '07 18:27
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Gambit
  12. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '07 22:04

1. e4 e5
    2. d4 exd4
    3. c3

DGA is:

3. ... dxc3
    4. Bc4 dxb2
    5. Bxb2

[/edit]
    There are indeed players playing it. A very fresh example is Game 2983502, where I was beaten thoroughly by Gatecrasher.
  13. Under Cover
    Moves
    14 May '07 22:19
    Originally posted by cludi
    There are indeed players playing it. A very fresh example is Game 2983502, where I was beaten thoroughly by Gatecrasher.
    Well, if it can be played succesfully at your level, then I suppose I'll have to reassess the value of the opening at my level.
  14. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    14 May '07 23:48
    Theory tells us this is not a sound opening for White. I disagree. It just might not be the best use of the White's opening advantage, especially when the gambit is turned down.

If accepted, however, best play by Black (5 .. d5), careful defence, and patient counter development may be able to achieve slightly better than equality, but on balance, I think it is far better for Black to pass up on that second pawn.

If you accept this Gambit as Black and are unfamiliar with the opening, just know that you have entered a veritable minefield. Those two pawns will soon seem like very small recompense for White's multitude of attacking threats. Just try hanging onto those pawns, and you will soon be beaten. You have to give them back to slow White down.

It is a pity that we don't see enough DGA at master level. Database representation and stats are very thin indeed. As for engine analysis of this opening... well, at the best of times, engines are rather poor at assessing the relative merits of material versus development. And this is especially true in the DGA where there is so much to weigh up.

DGA often turns into a violent blood-letting, but these games are always fascinating to watch and very enjoyable to play.
  15. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    15 May '07 00:26
    I've played it a few times with limited success. Only one win with it and surprisingly against one of the higher rated players that I have played.

GV

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree