Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    02 Jan '06 00:59
    Power is nothing without control. This proposition is well illustrated by this 1887 composition by J. Votruba:


    1.? 1-0
  2. Standard member Ravello
    The RudeĀ©
    02 Jan '06 01:08
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Power is nothing without control. This proposition is well illustrated by this 1887 composition by J. Votruba:

    [fen]8/5p2/5p1p/5KPk/7p/7P/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    1.? 1-0
    There's not a mate in one.........
  3. Standard member Santa Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    02 Jan '06 01:18
    Originally posted by Ravello
    There's not a mate in one.........
    1. ? 1-0 represents a win for white, not mate in 1
  4. Standard member Ravello
    The RudeĀ©
    02 Jan '06 01:20
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    1. ? 1-0 represents a win for white, not mate in 1
    Thanks for the great point of view,genius,but a "?" after the first move and nothing more makes one think that there should be a mate in one.
  5. 02 Jan '06 01:20
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Power is nothing without control. This proposition is well illustrated by this 1887 composition by J. Votruba:

    [fen]8/5p2/5p1p/5KPk/7p/7P/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    1.? 1-0
    1. g6!! fxf6+
    2. Kxf6 g5
    3. Kf5 g4
    4. hxg4#

    All of black's moves are forced
  6. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    02 Jan '06 02:26
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Thanks for the great point of view,genius,but a "?" after the first move and nothing more makes one think that there should be a mate in one.
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    only if you are unfamiliar with chess jargon

    I have never seen any chess book state, "White to move and win somewhere down the line."

    Almost universal in chess books, however, is a statement about who is on move ( "white to move" ) and the result sought ( "win" ). A few texts, such as Polgar's Chess Training in 5334 Positions tell you mate in x moves. On the other hand, Polgar's Chess Endgames cuts it to a minimum: "1? =" means white to move and draw, while "1...? -+" means black to move and win. None of the 4560 positions in that tome are mate in one, but a small number of solutions list only one move.

    So, after the pattern of Polgar, here's another of my favorites from Finali di Pedone I



    1.? +-



    But you knew that already.
  7. Standard member BlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    02 Jan '06 04:31
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    1. g6!! fxf6+
    2. Kxf6 g5
    3. Kf5 g4
    4. hxg4#

    All of black's moves are forced
    Think you mean 1... fxg6+ "Bad Wolf."
  8. 02 Jan '06 16:52
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    Think you mean 1... fxg6+ "Bad Wolf."
    Sorry that was a typo, fxg6+ is right.
  9. 03 Jan '06 14:19
    1. Ke2? don't see anything else