Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 13 Jan '07 04:08
    Of Live chess...

    I was on a bad losing streak in slow games on Playchess - for some very stupid reasons, but it feels nice to win against significantly higher rated opponents every now and then, especially when it's an extremely complicated game.


    [Event "Rated game, 20m + 0s"]
    [Site "Main Playing Hall"]
    [Date "2007.01.12"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "CMSMaster"]
    [Black "PepaAxes"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B90"]
    [WhiteElo "1570"]
    [BlackElo "1847"]
    [PlyCount "51"]
    [EventDate "2007.01.12"]
    [TimeControl "1200"]

    1. e4 {2} c5 {4} 2. Nf3 {1} d6 {2} 3. d4 {1} cxd4 {2} 4. Nxd4 {0} Nf6 {2} 5.
    Nc3 {0} a6 {3} 6. Rg1 {1} e6 {2} 7. g4 {1} Be7 {9} 8. g5 {18} Nfd7 {4} 9. h4 {
    70} Nc6 {28} 10. Be3 {3} Qa5 {15} 11. h5 {53} Nc5 {29} 12. Qf3 {27} Ne5 {20}
    13. Qf4 {3} b5 {61} 14. Nf3 {23} Nxf3+ {30} 15. Qxf3 {2} Bb7 {2} 16. Bxc5 {36}
    dxc5 {6} 17. g6 {92} hxg6 {58} 18. hxg6 {4} f5 {10} 19. Rh1 {70} Rg8 {27} 20.
    Qh5 {23} Bxe4 {38} 21. Qh7 {4} Kd7 {2} 22. O-O-O+ {19} Kc7 {22} 23. Qh2+ {54}
    Kb6 {45} 24. Rd7 {68} Bg5+ {32} 25. Kb1 {3} Bc6 {70} 26. Qc7# {
    (Lag: Av=0.36s, max=1.1s) 15} 1-0



    F9 found a line where black could at one point supposedly gain a +4 lead by playing O-O-O (Around the point where I played Rh1) but neither my opponent nor I saw it. Anyhow, it was a fun game, with some insane complications, and beating people rated nearly 300 points higher than yourself (after my staggering losing streak I lost about 100 points) feels good.
  2. 13 Jan '07 04:28
    rook g1 on move 6 in the najdorf, havent seen that a lot, I think I only remember a game by Ivanchuk vs Kasparov, do u know anything bout this variation? and can it give white an edge against a strong najdorf player?
  3. 13 Jan '07 04:31
    Originally posted by sannevssr
    rook g1 on move 6 in the najdorf, havent seen that a lot, I think I only remember a game by Ivanchuk vs Kasparov, do u know anything bout this variation? and can it give white an edge against a strong najdorf player?
    It's called the Freak attack, it's the only thing I'll use against the Najdorf - positions seem to be similar to a Keres Attack at times. It's not theoretical at all, since I doubt 99% of Najdorf players have ever even heard of it. Things are bound to get tactical with the move g4 as early as move 7, so if you like slow games you should avoid it. It's been played at the GM level - I think the Fritz DB has over 100 games with it if memory serves me correctly.

    I'm pretty convinced it can give white an edge against anybody.
  4. 13 Jan '07 04:33
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It's called the Freak attack, it's the only thing I'll use against the Najdorf - positions seem to be similar to a Keres Attack at times. It's not theoretical at all, since I doubt 99% of Najdorf players have ever even heard of it. Things are bound to get tactical with the move g4 as early as move 7, so if you like slow games you should avoid it. It's b ...[text shortened]... ry serves me correctly.

    I'm pretty convinced it can give white an edge against anybody.
    I was wrong, there's only a little over 20 in the DB. But in any case,

    [Event "Presidents Cup"]
    [Site "Elista"]
    [Date "1998.05.12"]
    [Round "2.4"]
    [White "Zvjaginsev, Vadim"]
    [Black "Ivanchuk, Vassily"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B90"]
    [WhiteElo "2655"]
    [BlackElo "2740"]
    [PlyCount "73"]
    [EventDate "1998.05.07"]
    [EventType "k.o."]
    [EventRounds "6"]
    [EventCountry "RUS"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [SourceDate "1998.08.06"]

    1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Rg1 Nc6 7. g4 Nxd4 8.
    Qxd4 e5 9. Qd1 Be6 10. g5 Nd7 11. Qf3 Rc8 12. Bh3 Be7 13. Be3 Rxc3 14. bxc3 Qc7
    15. Bxe6 Qxc3+ 16. Kf1 fxe6 17. Kg2 Qc4 18. a4 Rf8 19. Qg4 d5 20. c3 Nc5 21.
    Bxc5 Rf4 22. Qh5+ g6 23. Qh3 Qxc5 24. Rgf1 Qc6 25. Qxh7 Rg4+ 26. Kh1 Rxg5 27.
    Rg1 Qxc3 28. Rxg5 Bxg5 29. Rb1 Qf3+ 30. Kg1 Qg4+ 31. Kf1 Be7 32. Qh8+ Kf7 33.
    Qxe5 dxe4 34. Qg3 Qf5 35. Rxb7 g5 36. Rd7 Kf6 37. Ke1 1-0



    It's good enough to beat Ivanchuk - so I think it's completely sound.
  5. 13 Jan '07 04:46 / 2 edits
    If Chucky goes down , im sure I will too!
    Im a lazy bastard I should check a database, Im quite sure there is this game where Ivanchuk uses it against Kasparov,
    I hav played the najdorf but lately switched to the Sveshnikov due to the book "The Sveshnikov reloaded" by Dorian Rogozenko which is a very very fine book ( tiviakov rated it 10 out of 10 in a recent nic yearbook)
    anyway thx for your insights cmsMaster
  6. 13 Jan '07 04:53
    Originally posted by sannevssr
    If Chucky goes down , im sure I will too!
    Im a lazy bastard I should check a database, Im quite sure there is this game where Ivanchuk uses it against Kasparov,
    I hav played the najdorf but lately switched to the Sveshnikov due to the book "The Sveshnikov reloaded" by Dorian Rogozenko which is a very very fine book ( tiviakov rated it 10 out of 10 in a recent nic yearbook)
    anyway thx for your insights cmsMaster
    Yeah, the Sveshinikov offers lots of chances to both white and black. Although I don't particularly like the positions from either side, I seem to do well with white though actually.
  7. 13 Jan '07 04:57
    the chessbase database finds about 330 games with 6.Rg1 and here is the game I mentioned:

    Event "RUS-The World"
    Date "2002.09.0
    White "Ivanchuk,Vassily
    Black "Kasparov,Garry
    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Rg1 g6 7.g4 Bg7 8.Be3 Nc6
    9.f3 e5 10.Nxc6 bxc6 11.Qd2 Be6 12.0-0-0 Bf8 13.Na4 h5 14.h3 Nd7 15.Qc3 hxg4 16.hxg4 d5
    17.Qxc6 d4 18.Bd2 Rc8 19.Qb7 Rb8 20.Qxa6 Ra8 21.Qb5 Bxa2 22.Bc4 Bxc4 23.Qxc4 Qf6 24.g5 Qd6
    25.Kb1 Rh3 26.Rgf1 Be7 27.b3 Qa3 28.Bc1 Qb4 29.Qxb4 Bxb4 30.f4 Rh4 31.Rh1 Rxh1 32.Rxh1 Ke7
    33.f5 Ra6 34.Rh7 Nc5 35.Bd2 Rxa4 36.fxg6 Bxd2 37.Rxf7+ Ke6 38.Rf6+ Ke7 39.bxa4 Nxe4 40.Rf5
    1-0
  8. 13 Jan '07 05:00
    Originally posted by sannevssr
    the chessbase database finds about 330 games with 6.Rg1 and here is the game I mentioned:

    Event "RUS-The World"
    Date "2002.09.0
    White "Ivanchuk,Vassily
    Black "Kasparov,Garry
    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Rg1 g6 7.g4 Bg7 8.Be3 Nc6
    9.f3 e5 10.Nxc6 bxc6 11.Qd2 Be6 12.0-0-0 Bf8 13.Na4 h5 14.h3 Nd7 15.Qc3 hxg4 16.hxg4 d5
    17.Qxc6 d4 ...[text shortened]... Ra6 34.Rh7 Nc5 35.Bd2 Rxa4 36.fxg6 Bxd2 37.Rxf7+ Ke6 38.Rf6+ Ke7 39.bxa4 Nxe4 40.Rf5
    1-0
    Wow, a win over Kasparov with it - I'll have to look through that game tomorrow - thanks for posting it.
  9. 13 Jan '07 05:03
    I'm pretty sure I have it in an old Nic magazine with heavy analysis by Ivanchuck, message me if u want me to send it to you