1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    02 May '08 14:142 edits
    Has anyone had any experience playing as or against Black in this unusual Sicilian variation?

The Kupreichik Sicilian

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Bd7

I'm honestly curious as to why it doesn't appear more often, if for nothing more than the fact that nobody else seems to be playing it, either.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '08 17:391 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Has anyone had any experience playing as or against Black in this unusual Sicilian variation?

The Kupreichik Sicilian

[fen]rn1qkb1r/pp1bpppp/3p1n2/8/3NP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1BQKB1R[/fen]

I'm honestly curious as to why it doesn't appear more often, if for nothing more than the fact that nobody else seems to be playing it, either.
    I think it's because it doesn't help black castle quickly and comfortably, there's still the dark squared bishop and the king's knight to be developed, and probably more importantly, black gives too much information. by that I mean, the opening has just started, and black may want to develop his bishop to somewhere else, depending on the many various continuations.
  3. Standard memberChipotle
    Pawn Grubber
    a2-g8 diagonal
    Moves
    04 May '08 02:49
    Originally posted by wittywonka

The Kupreichik Sicilian

[fen]rn1qkb1r/pp1bpppp/3p1n2/8/3NP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1BQKB1R[/fen]

There are 400+ games in my Chessbase database, including a Amber blindfold by Ivanchuk. Is the purpose to play a Classical Sicilian and in the event of Nxc6 be able to recapture with the bishop to pressure e4? Otherwise it seems a little premature to move the bishop so early.

Of course as a Kan player, I like the Queen's knight on d7, so this seems out of whack 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree