1. e4
    Moves
    06 Jul '19 11:36
    From a recent O.T.B. game in England (players unknown)

Black to play.

Black played the most obvious move and resigned after White's reply.

Over the next few days I'll look for an RHP example that has the same theme.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 13:41
    @greenpawn34
    Well, the first move I thought of for black was Reveal Hidden Content
    1. ... Ke4 2. f3+ gf 3. Kf2 and black cannot both stop the h pawn and defend his (her) queenside pawns?
  3. e4
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 07:511 edit
    Correct Deep Thought, and yet Ke4 looks so natural and winning.
    I have already found a handful of RHP K4P's v K4P's upsets for the blog.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '19 13:21
    @deepthought said
    @greenpawn34
    Well, the first move I thought of for black was [hidden]1. ... Ke4 2. f3+ gf 3. Kf2 and black cannot both stop the h pawn and defend his (her) queenside pawns?[/hidden]
    I saw this immediately, but only because I've been reading Euwe's Endgames part 8, pawn endgames. Two weeks ago I'd have played the wrong move, and in a month or two I probably will again. (Such lessons never stick, with me.)

Even now I can see that the wrong move is wrong and why, but I still can't be sure about the right one. In pawn endgames and rook endgames even less than in other ones. Let me guess... Reveal Hidden Content
    Ke5
    ?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Jul '19 06:39
    @greenpawn34
    I alos try a guess
    Reveal Hidden Content
    I probably would try to move f3+ after the King moves Ke7 I would try to get the h-pawn with my King…

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree