Moves
    04 Apr '11 15:15
    Originally posted by Raabemaster
    This opening can also be called the siciliabn defense Rossmilio variation 🙂
    or move my kingside bits so I can castle
  2. timed out again
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 10:27
    The most useless advice to give new players is to tell them what you thought was useless advice (OP ahem). The OP hasn't even reached 1500, 2000 or 2300 and he thinks he knows it all.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:11
    Originally posted by enrico20
    The most useless advice to give new players is to tell them what you thought was useless advice (OP ahem). The OP hasn't even reached 1500, 2000 or 2300 and he thinks he knows it all.
    this is termed an ad hominen argument, in that it attacks the person rather than
    address the points that he is making. He did not claim to 'know it all', in fact he only
    cited three references from what he could recall. If you can make time to address the
    points that he was actually making, rather than attack him personally, you may do
    better.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:291 edit
    Robbie-

While true, no point in debating it.
  5. e4
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 12:47
    Enrico did not mention the Colle.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 13:36
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Enrico did not mention the Colle.
    no but you did, sooo where were we, , ah yes, dxc5 ...Bxc5 e4 ...Qc7 etc with Nimzo
    declaring the position fine, for black, haha

The fact of the matter remains that every minor piece exchange is favourable for
    white, exchanging dark squared bishops reduces the pressure on whites kingside and
    prepares our strategy against the isolated queen pawn. Colle himself played the risky
    Nh4, Kmoch suggests , 16 Bxb6 Qxb6 and Nbd4, Harding suggests, 16.Nbd4
  7. timed out again
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 13:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is termed an ad hominen argument, in that it attacks the person rather than
    address the points that he is making. He did not claim to 'know it all', in fact he only
    cited three references from what he could recall. If you can make time to address the
    points that he was actually making, rather than attack him personally, you may do
    better.
    Ad hominen argument? I had to look that up LOL! Let us see some of the OP's statements/arguments :-

-I was given advice, but pretty much all of it was way over my head, therefore it was totally useless!

Really?

- The point that I was trying to make in my first post is that I believe that even good advice is useless when given to someone who isn't ready for it. At the time I was given the advice I had zippo board vision. I was giving away my pieces left and right.

The reason I started studying chess was that I was sick of not knowing what I was supposed to do.

^^^^ So on that basis the advice given to a learner driver is "useless".... a trainee starting to learn martial arts or join the army etc etc 🙄

Quite whining and learn how to play the game.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 13:573 edits
    Ad hominen argument? I had to look that up LOL! Let us see some of the OP's statements/arguments :-

I was given advice, but pretty much all of it was way over my head, therefore it was totally useless!
    Really?

- The point that I was trying to make in my first post is that I believe that even good advice is useless when given to someone rn martial arts or join the army etc etc 🙄

Quite whining and learn how to play the game.
    you see guys, Enrico is not that prickly, so lets see the points

1. Information over his head,

Yes, he was being asked to run before he could even walk, how many of us have
    followed GM analysis and wondered what the heck was that all about, i have
    countless times, the same phenomena happens to beginners, surely you can
    empathise with him a little Enrico, after all, you were not always a 2000+ rated
    player, were you? He makes a good point thought, we are told to develop our
    pieces, well ok, but its not enough, we need to understand why we are developing
    them to their particular posts, what it accomplishes, what is their potential, how
    they fit into our over all strategy etc, that is something other than simply develop
    your pieces, which to all intents and purposes is fairly vague and not that helpful,
    dont you think? Try to think of what advice you would give in its stead, 'stop
    whining and learn the game', well how useful is that?
  9. e4
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 14:47
    Ha ha - got ya!

You said, posting this position;

The fact of the matter remains that every minor piece exchange is
    favourable for white.

I cannot see a White plus after the minor piece exchange Bxe4 dxe4.

I see the c6 Knight going to e5 and d3 (please pin it with Bf4 when it's on e5).

What game was this anyway? I'm getting flash backs.
  10. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 14:47
    Even when we develop our pieces well, there are still traps. We get them out there to take up space, but then lose them to some trick trap zap... So that means they aren't developed well. But they looked like they were to us haha.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Ha ha - got ya!

You said, posting this position;

[fen]r3r1k1/ppq2ppp/1bn3b1/3p4/4n3/1NPBBN2/PPQ2PPP/4RRK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

The fact of the matter remains that every minor piece exchange is
    favourable for white.

I cannot see a White plus after the minor piece exchange Bxe4 dxe4.

[fen]r3r1k1/ppq2ppp/1bn3b1/8/4p3/1NP1BN2/PPQ2PPP/4RRK1 w - - ...[text shortened]... lease pin it with Bf4 when it's on e5).

What game was this anyway? I'm getting flash backs.
    Lol, ok, almost every white minor piece exchange, it was a Colle v Kashdan 1931
    0-1, which Colle lost by playing a very risky manoeuvre and Kashdan offers a
    sacrifice, check it out.

12. bedlam
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 16:40
    In the beginning the first bit of advice I got was to bring out the queen early.
    But it doesn't really count as useless because I won many games with scholar's mate.

So yeah...
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:02
    Originally posted by torten
    In the beginning the first bit of advice I got was to bring out the queen early.
    But it doesn't really count as useless because I won many games with scholar's mate.

So yeah...
    when i was first introduced to chess, my teacher taught me to move a rook pawn to the
    fourth rank then the fifth and then bring my rook out to form an impenetrable wall
    along the forth rank. I still think it has merit.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:151 edit
    Just goes to show that people think that what's good advice for 1800's is good advice for 800's. That's the point I was trying to make with this thread.

You've got to deal with people where they are. Any good educator knows this for a fact.
  15. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:24
    Everything is different to the new player.

When I first learnt, knights on both sides were all friends who were not allowed to take each other. Imagine my shock playing my first opponenet who was not my elder sister!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree