1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 19:35
    Ron Langeveld from The Netherlands. Hip Hip Hooray!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 06:28
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    yay! the Netherlands have produced some outstanding chess players for sure.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 07:26
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Another Ronald !!! 😲
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 10:451 edit
    It's a strange competition as computer programs are allowed by the ICCF (are there are any correspondence chess organisations which prohibit the use of computer programs?). So I guess the person who wins the World Championship has to be an expert at which programs to use and when. Perhaps he would also lend a hand in choosing openings and maybe whether to steer certain games towards drawish or more uncertain directions.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 02:22
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    It's a strange competition as computer programs are allowed by the ICCF (are there are any correspondence chess organisations which prohibit the use of computer programs?). So I guess the person who wins the World Championship has to be an expert at which programs to use and when. Perhaps he would also lend a hand in choosing openings and maybe whether to steer certain games towards drawish or more uncertain directions.
    I can see competitions among players who use engines, but I am bothered by the idea that they share a title previously held by players who used analysis that was purely human-derived.

In some ways, the transition is similar to races among humans when we started to use horses, camels, bicycles, and then automated transport such as cars and airplanes, but we still keep our foot races as separate and distinct competitions.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 04:40
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I can see competitions among players who use engines, but I am bothered by the idea that they share a title previously held by players who used analysis that was purely human-derived.

In some ways, the transition is similar to races among humans when we started to use horses, camels, bicycles, and then automated transport such as cars and airplanes, but we still keep our foot races as separate and distinct competitions.
    Except that 'roids aren't openly allowed in foot racing. 😛
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Except that 'roids aren't openly allowed in foot racing. 😛
    Steroids isn't an apt analogy. Roids only help you reach your physical limits genetically and you still have to work very hard to be competitive whereas you just flip an engine on and it tells you what to move... its like one of those facebook RPGs where you click buttons all day long trying to get the biggest sword.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 19:18
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Steroids isn't an apt analogy. Roids only help you reach your physical limits genetically and you still have to work very hard to be competitive whereas you just flip an engine on and it tells you what to move... its like one of those facebook RPGs where you click buttons all day long trying to get the biggest sword.
    You are right. Steroids will not make one a champion without all the training, hard work, and natural ability that is necessary for any athlete.
  9. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 19:46
    How do they determine the World CC Champ? Swiss? RR? Or is it like the "regular" where there are qualifiers, Candidates' Matches, & eventually a Title Match? And how flippin' long does it all take?
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 21:04
    Originally posted by Grobzilla
    How do they determine the World CC Champ? Swiss? RR? Or is it like the "regular" where there are qualifiers, Candidates' Matches, & eventually a Title Match? And how flippin' long does it all take?
    http://www.iccf.com/
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 22:07
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    No, the analogy is fine. You can't become world corr champ by just flipping on an engine. Everyone else is already doing that. You have to be the best centaur - a person who knows how to get the maximum utility from the engine (for example, dealing with 'horizon effect'😉, and also knows to reject the engine's choice in the rare event that it is misplaying a position.
  12. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 16:08
    Originally posted by Kegge
    http://www.iccf.com/
    Thanks. I have Google, too. I just thought someone might like to discuss it in, you know, this discussion forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree