1. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 18:06
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Although part of me agrees with you below is what David Tebb (whose opinion also has to be respected as does Lasker's) said:

"I believe Emanuel Lasker actually said that he could take a person of average intelligence and turn them into a chess master by the end of six months. That sounds right. If an ordinary player in any sport or game is coached for 6 ...[text shortened]... e for 6 months (although I would like to think that I have above average intelligence lol)
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/chess/

This might be of intrest to you, Nigel Short coaching Stephen Moss who are (were in Nigels case I guess) both writers for the Guardian.
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/chess/

This might be of intrest to you, Nigel Short coaching Stephen Moss who are (were in Nigels case I guess) both writers for the Guardian.
    Yeah thanks I did find it interesting, but frustratingly too brief, but then I would have read a 1,000 pages on this subject.
  3. Montreal, Canada.
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 18:39
    10% inspiration 90% persperation. Nothing comes without hard work. Kasparov prepared tonnes of home analysis and he became one of the world elite because of hard work, dont make the mistake of thinking that people came all this way because they were talented. There are loads of talented people who get nowhere because they are lazy.
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Yeah thanks I did find it interesting, but frustratingly too brief, but then I would have read a 1,000 pages on this subject.
    I started training with a WGM/IM today. Quite intresting insights, although still not sure how much it will benefit me.
  5. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:02
    Getting back to the Question i asked earlier in this thread!
    Has anyone brought any of susan polgars dvds and are they any good?
  6. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:12
    I think that the Polgar story gives us a lesson in the fact that anyone (short of specific physical handicaps) can master any field so long as their interest is genuine and they devote much of their lives to it.

I believe it also shows that parents should not baby their children as many do. Children are smarter than adults, they just don't know as much. Children intake knowledge at phenomenal rates and when people encourage their children to apply themselves professionally there are often incredible results. For a more famous example of this principle find the incredible true story of Mozart.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:31
    Originally posted by spellforce
    10% inspiration 90% persperation. Nothing comes without hard work. Kasparov prepared tonnes of home analysis and he became one of the world elite because of hard work, dont make the mistake of thinking that people came all this way because they were talented. There are loads of talented people who get nowhere because they are lazy.
    That's me!

At least, I like to tell myself I have talent. 😳
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:541 edit
    Originally posted by spellforce
    I do not belive this! of course Kasparove worked extremely hard you do not get to be world champion (or a contender) without hard work, but not everyone can get to that level by hard work alone, are you suggesting if you or I worked hard enough we could win the world championship, of course not and that is because it's a combination of unique talent AND hard work
  9. Montreal, Canada.
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 16:51
    Ofcourse when it comes to worl championships there is need of talent but the exceptionally hard working players have a great chance to beat talented ones. Theres no reason one should shy away from chess because they arent talented, there are many many ways to improve your chess and I believe that you can achieve master level through hard work.
  10. Joined
    24 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 17:28
    Well, not only had I met Susan Polgar, I have actually played her.

http://www.gothicchess.com/images/ed_vs_susan_big.jpg

While it was not chess but Gothic Chess, I had been playing the game 6 years, it was her first game, and she was able to win.

I'd say she has some talent!

Trice vs. Polgar

1. d4 h6
    2. Nh3 g6
    3. g3 d5
    4. Nc3 c6
    5. e4 dxe4
    6. Bxe4 Qxd4
    7. Cd3 Qf6
    8. Cd8 Ng7
    9. Bf4 Nd7

This leads to the following diagram with white to move

http://www.gothicchess.com/images/Trice_Polgar.jpg

10. Qxd7! e5!!

{not 10...Bxd7?? 11. Cxd7#}

11. O-O-O exf4
    12. Nxf4 Ae7
    13. Cxe8+ Nxe8
    14. Qd3 Nd6
    15. Bg2 Bf5
    16. Qe2 Re8
    17. f3 Ac8
    18. Qf2 Bxi2
    19. Ri1 Bf5
    20. Qc5 Qxj2
    21. Nh3 Qf6
    22. g4 b6
    23. Qa3 Ae7
    24. Qxa7 Nb6
    25. Qxe7+ Rxe7
    26. Axb6 Nxc3
    27. Rd8+ Kg7
    28. bxc3 Kh7
    29. Ad4 Re1+
    30. Rxe1 Qxd8
    31. Axc6 Qc8
    32. f4 Bd7
    33. Ae4 Bxg4

0-1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree