1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 16:24
    It's something I think I need to focus more on. In this case I didn't deliberately force it. It just fell on my lap. My opponent is checked by my queen and knight, both of which are under attack and neither of which he can take.

[Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2010.07.16"]
    [EndDate "2010.07.23"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "USArmyParatrooper"]
    [Black "vision1959"]
    [WhiteRating "1510"]
    [BlackRating "1417"]
    [WhiteELO "1510"]
    [BlackELO "1417"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "7602461"]

2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 16:59
    I read somewhere (and I wish I could remember to give credit) that the essence of winning chess is to create two threats, both of which cannot be answered at the same time.

I think that is also the essence of that is meant when it is said that, for an endgame to be won, there must be two weaknesses for you to exploit.

It's modern math- two equals won!
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 20:002 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I read somewhere (and I wish I could remember to give credit) that the essence of winning chess is to create two threats, both of which cannot be answered at the same time.

I think that is also the essence of that is meant when it is said that, for an endgame to be won, there must be two weaknesses for you to exploit.

It's modern math- two equals won!
    It's one of Purdy's fundamental principles, mentioned in his "Guide to Good Chess" (and maybe elsewhere? ).

It's also Reuben Fine's 6th middlegame rule (Chess the Easy Way) .

And who knows, maybe many others preach this. (Probably everyone who's written on tactics or combinations.) 🙂

Edit - Hmm, when I make edits, I no longer see the edit info saying how many edits I've done. What's up with that?
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 20:16
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    It's one of Purdy's fundamental principles, mentioned in his "Guide to Good Chess" (and maybe elsewhere? ).

It's also Reuben Fine's 6th middlegame rule (Chess the Easy Way) .

And who knows, maybe many others preach this.
    Thanks for giving credit where credit is due.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree