1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 18:531 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dude have you seen the building that its being played in? check it out, Stewarts Melville College, Queensferry Rd. Its about as posh as you can git! nae riff raff allowed!
    I'm just telling you how things work. If you want to keep out the common man, then raise the prices and make it so that they can't participate. It works with taxing things like boats too.

Of course I suppose if you don't actually have a job you could go too. On public assistance you could probably afford to go.

In which case what I said would need to be amended to "working stiffs are not allowed".
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 19:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'm just telling you how things work. If you want to keep out the common man, then raise the prices and make it so that they can't participate. It works with taxing things like boats too.

Of course I suppose if you don't actually have a job you could go too. On public assistance you could probably afford to go.

In which case what I said would need to be amended to "working stiffs are not allowed".
    You could go if you were self employed, I have a Canadian canoe does that count for a tax break? 😀
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 19:19
    You could go if you were self employed, I have a Canadian canoe does that count for a tax break? 😀
    You think self employed people make money without having to show up to work?

I was thinking more along the lines of boats that receive extra excise taxes.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 20:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You think self employed people make money without having to show up to work?

I was thinking more along the lines of boats that receive extra excise taxes.
    You are falling into fiction I never thought anything of the sort, you cannot complain to me about taxes, you kicked us out for taxing you! and threw all that tea into the ocean in a tantrum!
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 17:26
    Coming up is the the 122nd Scottish open championship. I take a look at the official site and with squinting eyes I quickly glance at the entry form. Perhaps for unrated patzers there is a section where i can go, pay forty quid, get my butt kicked and go and see some works of art in the National portrait gallery? but nooooo, they want £90-100 entry ...[text shortened]... open is not for me and the costs are simply prohibitive. Oh well so much for chess in Scotland.
    JMHO - Stay with correspondence chess Robbie. It's less expensive, no travel involved, play chess when YOU are ready, higher quality games w/ longer time control, and if you want to go for an international title you can do so. OTB chess in America is going the same way, so I left it in the dust 7 years ago.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 09:20
    Originally posted by bill718
    JMHO - Stay with correspondence chess Robbie. It's less expensive, no travel involved, play chess when YOU are ready, higher quality games w/ longer time control, and if you want to go for an international title you can do so. OTB chess in America is going the same way, so I left it in the dust 7 years ago.
    Alas Bill i could but I want to see the white of my opponent's eyes, to feel the tension, to experience the sound of chess pieces on the board. In America i see people playing chess in fast food restaurants, in the parks at specially designated areas, in the city center, there is nothing like that here or at least nothing i know of. Perhaps i should petition Glasgow city council to make some chess boards in Kelvingrove park for the edification of the citys inhabitants. It would be an excellent idea, its right next to Glasgow university and everyone goes there from students to skateboarders to dudes practicing Tai chi.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 18:421 edit
    Kind of hard to play chess with sheep.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 22:061 edit
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 22:08
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Chess in NYC is in a very slack time right now. The Marshall is the only real Chess Club in the city, other than a few one night a week outfits. If you do come to NYC for some chess, make your first stop the tables in Central Park. However, avoid the tables at Washington Square Park and Union Square Park, they are nothing but slimeball hustlers who only play for money-your money. We don't allow that kind of crap in Central Park
    OMG how I envy you being able to go to NYC Marshall's Chess Club.
    Like going to Simpson's Divan or the Cafe De La Regence.
    Except Marshall's is still open.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 11:37
    Alas Bill i could but I want to see the white of my opponent's eyes, to feel the tension, to experience the sound of chess pieces on the board. In America i see people playing chess in fast food restaurants, in the parks at specially designated areas, in the city center, there is nothing like that here or at least nothing i know of. Perhaps i should ...[text shortened]... w university and everyone goes there from students to skateboarders to dudes practicing Tai chi.
    Robbie - Sounds good to me. Everyone has their own idea of what they want out of chess, and OTB is an option for you if you'd like to go that route. I don't want to rain on your parade, but those OTB chess photos you see in America are not as common as you think. They go on in New York and a few other places of course, but many of them are staged photo op's by chess mag's, or photos of tournament players between rounds. OTB chess hit it's peak in America in the mid 80's and has been slowly declining since then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree