Who was your opponent?
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 00:09
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Who was your opponent?
    A guy from another site. And don't tell me he played like crap. i'm just patting my back here. 😛
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    😛
    For what it's worth I think I'd have played f3 even I hadn't read the system. I was expecting g5 and then with the black pawns on g5 and h6 (taking into account KS castling) he's really asking for h4 with my bishops on d3 and f2. And notice the rook mate. If he didn't take the rook mate would come later on only. If I had played my queen to the h5 in ...[text shortened]... ad of Rh8+ mate could be forced in two moves, but I just couldn't resist sacing a rook. 😵
    Just a little sidenote:

I ran the game through Rybka and by the 8th move, it thinks Black is slightly better. It's remarkable how stupid the even best engine can be. Rybka is the opposite of Berliner and prioritizes development almost regardless of structure and quality of placement. For example, it actually likes Nc6 despite the fact that it's easy to harass, is inflexible (maybe d7 would have been a good square) and blocks the c-pawn - a key for counterplay.

White's position is clearly better. Black is stuck for counterplay and cannot easily get rid of the pin. Doubling pawns is ridiculous given castling and g5 is also too adventurous for the same reason. The alternative, to have a knight on d7, is simply not possible. Moreover, White has great central control and the bishop pair in a position likely to open.

Anyway, you played a great game.
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:111 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Just a little sidenote:

I ran the game through Rybka and by the 8th move, it thinks Black is slightly better. It's remarkable how stupid the even best engine can be. Rybka is the opposite of Berliner and prioritizes development almost regardless of structure and quality of placement. For example, it actually likes Nc6 despite the fact that it's easy to control and the bishop pair in a position likely to open.

I ran the game through Rybka and by the 8th move, it thinks Black is slightly better
    From my understanding of chess engines they are very poor at analysing openings. I don't know about Rybka cause it seems like it is the strongest engine around but that is the general thing.

For example, it actually likes Nc6 despite the fact that it's easy to harass, is inflexible (maybe d7 would have been a good square) and blocks the c-pawn - a key for counterplay.
    Why do you think I'd harass Nc6 by the way?

Doubling pawns is ridiculous given castling and g5 is also too adventurous for the same reason
    Totally agree with you. It'd be like choosing the lesser evil. But I think that KS castling and not pushing g5 would be fine even if the knight pin is slightly irritating. Nd7 would be nice too and then the queen could move and there would be no danger of opening up the g-file after castling.

Are you being ironic or what? I mean it's obvious that black made a lot of bad moves. He should have gone for a f-pawn push a lot of times so to give his rook some breathing space and the possibility to transfer his rook to the h-file. And his knight maneuvers after my f-pawn push simply showed that he didn't understood the point of my move that was to make way for my queen to reach the h-file. Yeah, I know that in chess the one who loses is the one who makes the last mistkae (I've made some innacuracies too) but he simply played a not so good chess.
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:441 edit
    And this is what happens when I partially use The System commandments. Piece activity, board control and king unsafety.

1. d4 e6
    2. c4 d5
    3. Nc3 Bb4
    4. e3 dxc4
    5. Bxc4 Nd7
    6. Nf3 Ngf6
    7. O-O h5
    8. Qe2 Bd6
    9. e4 Ng4
    10. e5 Bb4
    11. a3 Bxc3
    12. bxc3 O-O
    13. h3 Nh6
    14. Ng5 Nf5
    15. Qxh5 Nh6
    16. Nxe6 fxe6
    17. Bxe6+ Kh7
    18. Bxh6 gxh6
    19. Bf5+ Rxf5
    20. Qxf5+ Kh8
    21. Rfe1 Nf8
    22. e6 Qe8
    23. Qf6+ Kh7
    24. d5 b5
    25. Qf4 c6
    26. Qc7+ Kg8
    27. e7 Ng6
    28. dxc6 Bf5
    29. Rad1 Kf7
    30. Rd8 Qxe7
    31. Rxe7+ Nxe7
    32. Rxa8 Kf6
    33. Rf8+ Ke6
    34. Qd7+ Ke5

Black resigns.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 19:291 edit
    Even if you don't harass the knight immediately, the potential gives you extra options and is not in Black's favor.

As for the rest, it's a genuine compliment. I didn't notice any real errors on your part. Of course Black played poorly, but you took advantage well. If both sides played perfectly, I'm sure it would be a draw. There's no need to feel like it wasn't earned because there were mistakes.

EDIT: I can't get rid of the boldness. I'll delete the quoted post and see if it works.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 22:58
    If, as Berliner says, that chess is a forced win for White with best play, then how come at the highest levels draws are going up while wins for both White and Black are going down?

If Berliner is right, then you would expect both of the following to be happening at the highest levels:
    1) Wins for Black should be going down.
    2) Wins for White should be going up.

As a matter of fact, (1) is happening, but (2) is not. I guess both of the above will come to pass after all of the 2700+ players read Berliner's book.
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 09:421 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    If, as Berliner says, that chess is a forced win for White with best play, then how come at the highest levels draws are going up while wins for both White and Black are going down?

If Berliner is right, then you would expect both of the following to be happening at the highest levels:
    1) Wins for Black should be going down.
    2) Wins for ...[text shortened]... guess both of the above will come to pass after all of the 2700+ players read Berliner's book.
    😞

I think I have to say this one more time and this time I'll make as explicit as I can. I don't believe in Berliner's idea that white has a forced win. I do believe that the man certainly has very good credentials and given his CC record he might be onto something. Maybe not a forced win for white but just a way to white make black really try for equality.

The book is on openings (mostly) and even if people could get from the opening with a minimum advantage they could still blow it in the middlegame or in the endgame. In CC chess such a thing would very seldomly happen but on OTB chess (which is my main interest) I can see that happen a lot.

Please stick around and discuss things I'll post I think it can be benefitial to all.

In the meantime just check the second game I posted (note the tongue in cheek tone I used in it) and dazzle yourself with my spetacular knight sac! 😵
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 11:051 edit
    I have to take a break from the site for a while and I guess this thread won't be seeing some action,but be assured that I'll be be back and the mighty System will be back too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree