1. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Apr '20 22:062 edits
    No I don't have the virus, but can be thankful for it, since it's now officially the savior of my dignity. My first 9 OTB games in 25+ years are in the books, and I feel about 2 ft. tall, and that's with elevator shoes! After 2 initial wins, the next 7 left me wondering if I was even playing the same game. I found so many different ways to lose, keeping track of them would require a mainframe. If my rating sinks any lower, it will have a minus sign in front of it! The one saving grace is social distancing means I can just press "resign" (I'm getting really good at that!) and move on without having to shake the hand of the 9 year old that just blew me off the board.

Oh BTW- If my OTB skills sucked any more, I could use them to pull a golf ball through 60 ft. of garden hose!!

It's going to take some to get back into this - 😳
  2. Joined
    24 Dec '19
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 15:07
    What do you mean by OTB? I get that it's over the board, but does that refer to internet as well as in person games, just not correspondence chess?
  3. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 16:432 edits
    @kingme said
    What do you mean by OTB? I get that it's over the board, but does that refer to internet as well as in person games, just not correspondence chess?
    Over the board via chess.com

I'll be playing OTB in person when COVID-19 is less of a hazard. 🙂
  4. Joined
    24 Dec '19
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 19:43
    Oh, I always have problems going from playing online for a while to live, I struggle to see everything on the 3D board it seems.
  5. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 20:55
    Just ask your opponent to turn away for a moment while you move the pieces around muttering "J'adoube."
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '20
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 22:26
    I have a love/hate relationship with the game myself. One time decades ago I became very incensed over some stupid losses and tossed my entire chess book collection into some nearby woods. I thought: "Ok, now I have extra room for other books!" Then over time you begin to miss it more and more, all those amazing strategies and tactics you once enjoyed and then slowly it creeps back into your life and you begin to reinvest your time and ego in it once again.

I have always felt chess was an anger management tool in the guise of a game, it magnifies your ego sometimes then rips it to shreds other times.
  7. SubscriberChris Guffoggonline
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    16 Apr '20 17:49
    @mchill said
    Over the board via chess.com

I'll be playing OTB in person when COVID-19 is less of a hazard. 🙂
    That's a long way off... It's all online now & will be for the forseable future.
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 06:332 edits
    @hells-caretaker said
    That's a long way off... It's all online now & will be for the forseable future.
    I'm sure that's true. I'm in the middle of an online tournament now. Despite getting kicked around like a 2nd hand chew toy, I do enjoy the competition, and my competitors have been very good about telling where to find helpful training information.

I climbed the ladder to the mid 1700's once, and there is no reason I can't get that far, and beyond now. This old dog can still learn how to hunt! 😉
  9. SubscriberChris Guffoggonline
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 13:16
    @mchill

That's the spirit. I have my Panzer's. Piss poor form recently however, the lockdown is bearing much wanted fruit.

Going to the supermarket for the same is a different conversation.
  10. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 16:50
    @Tchessaikovsky

I am the same way lol 😆
  11. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 16:53
    @mchill

Your opponents average rating on here is 200 points below your rating.
    Fix that first. 😉
    It should be higher than your rating.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 17:21
    @flopwrist said
    @mchill

Your opponents average rating on here is 200 points below your rating.
    Fix that first. 😉
    It should be higher than your rating.
    Now that is no fun.
  13. Joined
    31 Mar '20
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 17:31
    LoL 😉
  14. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Apr '20 05:202 edits
    @tchessaikovsky said
    I have a love/hate relationship with the game myself. One time decades ago I became very incensed over some stupid losses and tossed my entire chess book collection into some nearby woods. I thought: "Ok, now I have extra room for other books!" Then over time you begin to miss it more and more, all those amazing strategies and tactics you once enjoyed and then slowly i ...[text shortened]... ent tool in the guise of a game, it magnifies your ego sometimes then rips it to shreds other times.
    One time decades ago I became very incensed over some stupid losses and tossed my entire chess book collection into some nearby woods.

You too?! I did nearly the the same thing, tossing mine (and my chess set) into some tall grass off to the side of a remote highway on the way home from a miserable tournament result. I'd forgotten I rubber stamped my name and address in the books, and some good samaritan brought them back to me, adding insult to injury. After securely disposing of them, I resolved not to play in tournaments again, and yes, in time I did begin to miss it.

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one to do this... 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree