Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 06 Oct '10 01:42
    The world's smallest working chess set (the "table" supporting the board is a pinhead) by Ukranian microminiaturist Mykola Syadristy:

    http://www.microart.kiev.ua/en/shahy.html

    A couple of my favorites:

    http://www.microart.kiev.ua/en/poesia.html

    http://www.microart.kiev.ua/en/zustrych.html
  2. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    06 Oct '10 02:58
    The fines chess set the world over. The chessboard and chessmen are placed on a pinhead. Thez show an arrangement of chessmen from one of the games played between Alexander Aliokhin (black pieces) and Raul Capablanka. The chessmen are made of gold.

    The size is enlarged.


  3. 06 Oct '10 08:18
    Compared to the worlds largest chess set.

    "The board measures 1,200 by 1,200 feet, pieces are 30 to 60 feet tall (albeit, they are laid flat on the ground).

    It is currently being played by IM Elisabeth Pähtz against the world via the internet."

    http://www.purplepawn.com/2009/08/worlds-largest-chess-set/
  4. 06 Oct '10 09:37
    http://www.gizmag.com/sandia-labs-mems-design-contest-winners/15480/

    I think this one is a little smaller.
  5. 06 Oct '10 11:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Willzzz
    http://www.gizmag.com/sandia-labs-mems-design-contest-winners/15480/

    I think this one is a little smaller.
    The OP *did* say "the smallest working chess set". Besides, the Texas Tech entry should have been disqualified for not knowing how to set up the board correctly.
  6. 06 Oct '10 19:07
    Originally posted by Willzzz
    http://www.gizmag.com/sandia-labs-mems-design-contest-winners/15480/

    I think this one is a little smaller.
    I don't think so. Of course, it depends on the size of the pinhead, but a typical pinhead is about 1,500 microns across, and the Sandia Labs board is about 1,400 microns across; but take a look at Syadristy's board, and you can see that the width of his chessboard extends only about 3/4 of the way across the middle of the pinhead (i.e., across the diameter). So, it looks like Syadristy's board is smaller, but not by much (perhaps 200 or 300 microns smaller).

    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pinhead.htm

    Note that 1 millimeter = 1000 microns.
  7. 06 Oct '10 19:30
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    The fines chess set the world over. The chessboard and chessmen are placed on a pinhead. Thez show an arrangement of chessmen from one of the games played between Alexander Aliokhin (black pieces) and Raul Capablanka. The chessmen are made of gold.

    The size is enlarged.


    Yes, I don't think that English or the Roman alphabet (as opposed to the cyrillic) is his strongpoint. Scroll down to the bottom of his biography and you'll see a picture of "The hose where Mykola Syadristy was born". All those famous admirers and he can't get an ESL student to proofread his website?
  8. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    07 Oct '10 04:38
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Compared to the worlds largest chess set.

    "The board measures 1,200 by 1,200 feet, pieces are 30 to 60 feet tall (albeit, they are laid flat on the ground).

    It is currently being played by IM Elisabeth Pähtz against the world via the internet."

    http://www.purplepawn.com/2009/08/worlds-largest-chess-set/
    Mine's bigger