1. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 17:44
    Originally posted by atticus2
    I like 'Berserker'. It's about time we gave the game a thorough PR makeover. Ditch 'Rook'; replace with Berserker for starters

Facebook campaign? Of course!
    Seems to me a knight is more of a berserker than a rook. Berserker are line-breakers, men (often drug-addled) who, without regard for their lives, throw themselves crazily into the enemy's lines in order to make a breech through which the rest of the more level-headed army follows to victory.

Think of a knight taking one of the pawns in a castle position as a sacrifice.
  2. gumtree
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 19:35
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    And anyway Mr Diophantus (if that is your real name, which I don't believe at all).

What's all this 'Just to wind GP up...' stuff.

Don't think you getting away with that.

Here I am. plodding along minding my own business and everyone
    is trying to wind me up.

I just jump into their games, it does not take me long to find what
    I'm looking for ...[text shortened]... Is this what you are teaching my 955 players to do, go after QNP's with their Queens? 😉
    What? You mean greenpawn isn't your name? Good lord! I am shocked and possibly horrified! Does that mean that this interwossname is full of people going about under assumed names? Well, I'm not Greek, I'm not dead and I'm not a mathematician. Climate scientist who plays with chess and number theory in his spare time.

That game was a tournament game so I had no choice but to play the lad. If you look at the final position I think you'll see that I wasn't after a QNP at all. A quick, clean kill without any fannying about pretending to sacrifice. So if I was teaching the poor lad anything it was to watch f7 like a hawk if he hasn't castled yet!
  3. e4
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 21:05
    🙂

I saw the whole game Mr D. I was just on the wind up.
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 22:10
    Thought as much. One wind up deserves another. I did consider Ne5 but I always think my opponents deserve my best. Qb3 was a much nastier move than Ne5. Hopefully he (she?) will have learned to ignore the QNP if f7 is also threatened. QNPs are often tipped with queen poison.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Sep '10 02:21
    All these rocket scientists need to do is just pick one of the piece and look at the bottom. It clearly states they were made in China.
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    13 Sep '10 08:11
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    All these rocket scientists need to do is just pick one of the piece and look at the bottom. It clearly states they were made in China.
    The one I have says made in India. I didn't think walruses went that far south?
  7. e4
    Moves
    13 Sep '10 17:041 edit
    The odds were in your favour.

I now have over 300 examples of Legall's mate on
    here all under 10 moves with both colours.

kuntakente was the pupil in April 2009

RUBILLO - kuntakente
    Challenge http://www.redhotpawn.com, 22.04.2009

1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 a5 3.Nf3 d6 4.Nc3 a4 5.a3 Bg4 6.Nxe5 Bxd1 7.Bxf7+ Ke7 8.Nd5.

And since that fatal lesson he has been the teacher on 3 occassions.
    Twice, in the space of 4 months, donrafael have walked into it
    v kuntakente from a slightly different move order.

kuntakente - donrafael
    Challenge http://www.redhotpawn.com, 29.06.2009

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 h6 4.Nc3 Bg4 5.Nxe5 Bxd1 6.Bxf7+ Ke7 7.Nd5# 1-0

kuntakente - donrafael
    Challenge http://www.redhotpawn.com, 06.10.2009

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Nc3 Bg4 4.Bc4 h6 5.Nxe5 Bxd1 6.Bxf7+ Ke7 7.Nd5# 1-0

kuntakente - Kamaco
    Challenge http://www.redhotpawn.com, 16.05.2010

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 h6 4.Nc3 Bg4 5.Nxe5 Bxd1 6.Bxf7+ Ke7 7.Nd5# 1-0
  8. gumtree
    Moves
    13 Sep '10 18:00
    I like to be different. Just have a look at my choice of openings if you don't believe me! I am currently in a 1. g3 phase. Legall's mates are two a penny, as you just demonstrated, so I went for something different.

While your here, I wonder if you'd be interested in a chess set that has just come into my possession? It is made from genuine imitation penguin ivory and has no bishops. I think it may have been made by atheist rabbit herders on the Isle of Wight...
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 00:48
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    The one I have says made in India. I didn't think walruses went that far south?
    Not since global warming really shrunk the market for chess pieces...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree